Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,901   Posts: 1,584,448   Online: 931

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I had the Elan 7 (Eos 30) and I must agree with everyone here: it's a whispering camera.
    And the sign said, "long haired freaky people need not apply"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    As I stated earlier, I don't think the volume of the shutter really matters. But since we are discussing the finer points of what is quiet and what is not, I think that there are only two EOS cameras worth talking about: The EOS RT (the model whose name escaped me in my earlier post) and the EOS 1N-RS. Nothing will be anywhere near as quiet as those two.

The RT is older, and based on an amateur body. It is small, light, slow, and fragile in comparison to the 1N-RS. The 1N-RS is a brick of a professional camera that you could probably use as a hockey puck. It is quick and full featured, but large and heavy in comparison to the RT. There are times when I would want the RT and times when I would want the 1N-RS. I would generally prefer the RT for street photography, because it is light and small. But if I wanted close to the best auto focus and speed I could get, I would need the 1N-RS.
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 09-19-2011 at 05:02 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    35mm
    My EOS5/A2E is very quiet as well. I remember reading somewhere on the net that fashion models did not approve of these cameras because they could not hear the shutter fire, so did not not know when to change pose.

John

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    I think after all this I'll just continue on with my 1N and be happy. Though I think I'll add a 28mm to my lineup. But I do love the discussion and I appreciate every time someone offers an opinion.

Someday I'd like to have a Contax G2 system (Or rather ideally a Leica, but that's way down the road)

So the true answer is: Technique > Gear
    - Abram

Mamiya 7II / Hasselblad 500CM

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Except for the noise of the auto-focus on the G2, the only reason to get a Leica instead is snob factor. The optics are phenomenal, and everything is a fraction of the price of Leica gear. I took my G2 on vacation with me to Barcelona, along with the 21, 28, 45 and 90 lenses. The G2 and 21 paid for themselves on that trip in after-the-fact print sales. Try and find a 21mm lens with finder for the Leica M for under $1K That 21 has become one of my all-time favorite lenses and I'm normally a mild tele kind of guy.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingCamera View Post
    Except for the noise of the auto-focus on the G2, the only reason to get a Leica instead is snob factor.

[snip]

Try and find a 21mm lens with finder for the Leica M for under $1K
    I normally don't like to get into the Leica crap, but really? I can think of several reasons to shoot an M mount camera. Manual focus, f/1.4, and 70+ years of LTM and M mount lenses.

Also, a great M mount 21 - the Cosina Voigtlander 21/4. $400 without finder. If you want one with a finder for $400, you have to get the LTM mount one. There are two nice Zeiss 21s for M that are a bit more than $1000, but not that much more.

Not saying the G isn't a great camera with great lenses.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingCamera View Post
    Except for the noise of the auto-focus on the G2, the only reason to get a Leica instead is snob factor.
    Here taste really comes into play: IMHO, AF on a rangefinder camera is simply absurd...
    (not that I especially like AF on any camera, but it especially gets in the way on a RF).
    M6, SL, SL2, R5, P6x7, SL3003, SL35-E, F, F2, FM, FE-2, Varex IIa

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Images
    Warning - Warning - Thread about to go out of control!!!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Alternatively, you could use what you have an develop a thicker skin.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    Alternatively, you could use what you have an develop a thicker skin.
    Same here!

Jeff

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin