Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,690   Posts: 1,482,381   Online: 740

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Quiet Canon EOS SLR?

Hey guys, I'm curious if there are any EOS bodies that have come out over the years that are particularly quiet? Or QUIETER than say my 1N . I've been working on getting into street photography, and while I know this is the domain of the rangefinder, and I certainly wish that I still had mine but finances dictate otherwise presently. I'm just wondering if there are any other camera bodies worth investigating that wouldn't be too frightening for people on the street. My 1N draws a fair bit of attention unfortunately.
    - Abram

35mm / 120

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I don't have too much experience with eos bodies except for the elan 7e that I've been using recently and the shutter is quiet compared to my nikon n80,and you can't even tell that it has advanced the film it's that fast and quiet.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi,

IME, the size and sound of a camera make little difference in whether or not people notice and/or get mad. If this is an issue, carrying yourself differently and approaching your subjects differently are the keys, not a new camera. The 1N is an outstanding street camera because of it's speed, it's AF, and it's durability. It would be hard to do a whole lot better IMO. If anything, go for a 1NRS, or the lower-end EOS camera with a pellicle mirror. (I forgot the model name.)

I also feel on a conceptual level that it is not a bad thing if people notice you. We are not invisible observers in society. We are participants in it. So, be a part of the picture, not a voyeur. Some of my favorite street photography of all time has direct eye contact, and sometimes visible annoyance/surprise.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have an Elan 7E and it's quiet. I would assume the 7NE would be the same. I don't have any of the higher end bodies but I've been around them to know how loud they can be. I also have the Elan/100 that is quiet but you run into the trouble of the sticky shutter problem and command dial being broken.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I am perfectly happy with the 1N honestly, I just occasionally wish for something quieter to be a little more un-obtrustive. I have no intention of being sneaky or stealthy (Not possible when you're 6'3" and 270lbs haha). I stopped using the PB-E1 motor drive in favor of the BP-E1 battery grip as well.

2F I appreciate your insight actually, thank you!
    - Abram

35mm / 120

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think the EOS 1N is the quiest camera I've ever held...
    But I suppose this is subjective. Being profoundly deaf probably doesn't help my recommendation!
    But in a tactile sense, it definitely is quiet: solid, business-like, gets it done then finishes. No complaints, and never had people eyeball me if it is bracketing rapidly.

Methinks street photography has a lot of ambient noise and a camera like the 1N is unlikely to make an impression against it.
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

One beautiful image is worth
    a thousand hours of therapy.

"It is horrifying that we have to fight our own government
    to save the environment."
    .::Ansel Adams

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I'm pretty sure that the 7/7N/7E/whatever it is was touted as the quietest EOS camera. Other than that, the 1V has a personal function, if you have the software uplink, where you can delay the film advance and mirror return until after you release the shutter button, which can delay some of the noise at least.

Shooter
    35mm
    EOS RT or the Elan 7NE. As an RT owner it's second only to a rangefinder in quietness and weight. Pair it with a set of Voigtlaender pancakes and its the closest you'll ever get to an SLR equaling a rangefinder setup.

Shooter
    35mm
    I'm a long-time Nikon user, but recently I've been using my wife's spare EOS 35mm body, a Rebel XSn, with a Pentax screw mount adapter and a Super-Takumar 55mm f/1.8*.

Compared to my F3 and MD4 motor, this camera is very quiet. I can't say how it compares to other Canon EOS cameras, but my F3 is like a gun going off compared to this little camera. It's also very lightweight. Finally, the 35mm Rebels are super-inexpensive these days.

*I suppose some of the reduction in noise has to do with the fact that both the focus and aperture are totally manual when using this lens.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    The 1N-RS is pretty quiet and kind of strange to hold. You just feel it sucking the film from the cartridge to the takeup spool without all the usual commotion.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin