Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,765   Posts: 1,516,380   Online: 1023

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm

Batteries question

I own a Nikkormat FTn, which works just fine except for the light meter. I removed the cell I was using because I assumed, probably correctly, that the voltage was incorrect, and the light meter kept wanting to underexpose things by about 2-3 stops. If I put a cell from Wein batteries in it, one with correct voltage, what are my chances of having the meter work correctly? I do understand that the camera is old(er), and may not have an accurate meter in the first place, so I don't have very high hopes, not unless I spring for a CLA on the meter. I am able to check it with a hand-held meter, so I won't need to guess at the accuracy of the reading.

Thanks to all who reply.

With best regards,

Stephen

Shooter
    Multi Format

Batteries Question

Good morning, Steve Mack;

Yes, using a simple Alkaline Type 625A or similar battery in your Nikon F series camera will normally give you a light meter reading that is about 1 & 1/2 or 2 stops off. The normal voltage for a Mercury Cell such as the PX-625 was about 1.35 VDC. A Wien Cell will also give you right at about 1.35 VDC, and it will work properly with your early light meter, but the life may not be as long as you might like. While they are available for use with hearing aids, you might also need to buy them occasionally.

Another way to consider is with a Silver-Oxide Cell such as the Type 386S which does have a voltage rating of 1.50 VDC, but you can put it into a battery adapter for this purpose such as the C. R. I. S. Type MR-9 Battery Adapter (see the URL of www.criscam.com) which will drop the voltage for the light meter down to right about 1.35 VDC and restore your normal light meter operation. Also, the Silver-Oxide Cell does have a very stable voltage level as the battery is used, so with the MR-9 Adapter, it does simulate the operating characteristics of the original PX-625 Mercury Battery very well, and it gives you consistent light meter operation over the life of the battery. When the Silver Oxide Battery reaches the end of its useful life, you will know it; the voltage does drop very rapidly at the end, and it does so without any real warning that it is going to do this. Have a spare battery on hand for replacement after about a year of use or so.
    Enjoy;

Ralph Javins, Latte Land, Washington

When they ask you; "How many Mega Pixels you got in your camera?"
    just tell them; "I use activated silver bromide crystals tor my image storage media."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Or head off to Costco and buy a card of thirty blue tab hearing aid batteries, approx $12. They will last you a long time, at the fraction of the cost of Wein cells.
    Bob

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob-D659 View Post
    Or head off to Costco and buy a card of thirty blue tab hearing aid batteries, approx $12. They will last you a long time, at the fraction of the cost of Wein cells.
    This is correct, with one qualification. You may need an adapter or some other work-around to deal with the fact that the hearing-aid batteries are a different size then the original mercury cells.

There are special purpose adapters available that you insert the hearing aid batteries into - size 375 is common.

In some cases a rubber o-ring will do the job.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    +1 for using a C.R.I.S.-type adapter.
    For adapting smaller hearing aid batteries, you could try using a wadded-up ball of alu foil to make them fit.

Despite what some nay-sayers say (who really, really need to read "Zen and the art of motorcycle maintainance"), this is an easy and RELIABLE solution.

That said, there is probably an even chance that your meter may not be working perfectly: CdS cells can weaken or die and variable resistors get dirty/wear out.
    M6, SL, SL2, R5, P6x7, SL3003, SL35-E, F, F2, FM, FE-2, Varex IIa

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use the Wein cells in my OM-1's and my meters are spot on. I average 2.5-3 years per battery since they only power a meter and get modest usage. It works out fairly cheaply for me.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum
    BTW: the big kid in my avatar is my hero, my son, who proudly serves us in the Navy. "SALUTE"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use Air Zinc with a metal ring around (you can get it from the right size spring).
    " A loving and caring heart is the beginning of all knowledge " ~ Thomas Carlyle ~

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    How are the CRIS adapters for FTN Meter heads? I picked up a minty Nikon F recently, the speeds are spot on but the on board meter needs batteries.
    "Life moves pretty fast, if you don't stop and look around once and a while, you might just miss it."
    Ferris Bueller

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bill View Post
    How are the CRIS adapters for FTN Meter heads? I picked up a minty Nikon F recently, the speeds are spot on but the on board meter needs batteries.
    A single CRIS adapter is OK but two stacked for the FTn finder might be too much. Check how much thread there is on the finder's battery cap. I have a near mint black F Photomic FTn and a small stash of Varta merc cells but rarely use the old beast.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use 2 C.R.I.S. adapters stacked up, both in a Photomic FTn (2 samples) and in a Gossen Lunasix 3 meter: they work perfectly.
    (Why shouldn't they?)
    M6, SL, SL2, R5, P6x7, SL3003, SL35-E, F, F2, FM, FE-2, Varex IIa

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin