Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,536   Posts: 1,544,112   Online: 986

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Nikon F3 - Manual Exposure?

Hi Everyone,
    I'm thinking of replacing my F2 with a F3. I know the F3 has a electronic shutter but how does it do TTL exposure metering? I actually prefer to use a hand held incident meter when I shoot (which is what I used with my F2). I presume that since the F3 has a analog dial for the shutter speed and one simply sets the aperture ring to the desired setting, I can just shoot away while ignoring whatever readings I see in the DE-2 finder correct? I don't see any options for aperture or shutter priority settings on the F3. This is good since I want to use it like the F2.
    Thanks for replies,
    Marc

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    This might be a good place to start:

http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography...s/nikonf3ver2/

It can be shot fully manual(speed+aperture are your call) or in aperture priority(shutter speed determined by aperture).

Among the nicer features of the F3's metering is its "fat spot" pattern that puts 80%--rather than the usual 60%--of the meter's weight in the center spot. Much less chance of exposure glitches caused by background/subject brightness variance.
    Last edited by CGW; 09-19-2011 at 10:34 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Large Format
    The F3 is manual exposure or aperture-priority automatic exposure.

When the shutter speed dial is on any marked shutter speed, that’s the speed the shutter will use. The aperture is set on the preset ring on the lens.

When the shutter speed dial is set to “A” the camera is in automatic exposure mode. The shutter speed varies based on the aperture setting and the light level read by the meter.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    One thing to remember: the F3 cannot be set to in-between shutter speeds on the dial, unlike the F2.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by lxdude View Post
    One thing to remember: the F3 cannot be set to in-between shutter speeds on the dial, unlike the F2.
    But who knew what those were on the F2?

Believe the F3 shutter speeds are stepless in aperture priority. This allows for insanely long metered exposures in low light.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by CGW View Post
    But who knew what those were on the F2?
    Who knows what the in-between settings are on the aperture ring either? Halfway between clicks on the shutter dial is half a stop. Just like halfway between aperture clicks on a Nikon lens is a half a stop (except on some lenses between maximum aperture and the next click stop).
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The F3 does stepless in AP, thanks to the quartz-timed shutter. Only it knows for sure.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Whether an intermediate shutter speed is 1/180 or 1/192 is insignificant for photographic purposes...

Larger variations from a hypothetical "perfect" exposure are caused by many other factors.
    Suggesting that only electronic or quartz controlled shutters can deliver acceptable exposure accuracy is simply daft.
    M6, SL, SL2, R5, P6x7, SL3003, SL35-E, F, F2, FM, FE-2, Varex IIa

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Rol_Lei Nut View Post
    Whether an intermediate shutter speed is 1/180 or 1/192 is insignificant for photographic purposes...

Larger variations from a hypothetical "perfect" exposure are caused by many other factors.
    Suggesting that only electronic or quartz controlled shutters can deliver acceptable exposure accuracy is simply daft.
    Ever own or use an F3? Otherwise why pick a fight? Chill.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by lxdude View Post
    To be precise, on the F2 only in the range 1/80 to 1/2000.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin