Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,920   Posts: 1,522,034   Online: 939

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Hiking/ backpacking tripod?

Anyone reccomend a not-exorbitant backpacking tripod? i've got about 4 of them now, weighing about 2.4lbs and trying to lighten my pack.
    Can't afford the $300 carbon ones!
    is that tent pole Slip shot? tripod any good, looks kinda flimsy, tho light.
    Or do i need a mule like Ansel? ;>
    thanks
    kEN

JDP

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hi,
    I recently went through the process of buying a new tripod and also wanted to use it for back-packing. I bought a lightweight Davis and Straub unit with a ball head. It is well made, and very light, but unfortunately just not rigid enough for exposures of ~1 second or more. I came to the conclusion you cannot argue with physics and a rigid tripod needs to be chunky, and heavy. I ended up with a carbon model (Velbon) for 'short' walks (probably weighs ~4lbs), but if going into the mountains I actually take a monopod with me. This allows steady exposures down to aleast 1/4 second, and often is good at 1/2 a second. it weights about a pound, and doubles as a walking pole. Recommended.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I'm afraid a mule is only solution. My tripod and head is around 5 lbs and I give up trying to find something not so heavy. But maybe monopod is a great idea - I've never try to use it.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    It might not be exactly what you're looking for, but I highly recommend the Gorillapod. Very light, stable on all the surfaces I've used it on, and very compact. Its only drawback is that the camera sits about a foot off the ground- no problem when using a waist level finder, but it can prove difficult to compose the shot when using an SLR. It's worth checking out though, I don't go hiking without it.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Go not to the elves for counsel, for they will say both yes and no.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    for what its worth, it is VERY hard to judge the quality or usability of a tripod online. Its one of those things you just have to see for yourself. Find a local camera dealer that stocks high-quality tripods.
    Go not to the elves for counsel, for they will say both yes and no.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I actually have a donkey (not a mule), and I'm pretty sure he isn't stable enough for 1-second exposures either!

Personally, I've decided to sacrifice weight for stability. I have a cheap 1970s tripod of some generic brand, and it's plenty stable enough for 35mm or TLRs, but it certainly weighs more than your 2.4 pounds. However, if I'm already carrying water at eight pounds per gallon, a few metric tons of assorted cameras, and so forth and so on, the weight of the tripod is kind of down in the noise---I decided it didn't make sense to optimize for weight at that level. Better to suffer and get good photos than not to suffer at all, right?

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I would look at the Feisol tripods listed under one of the vendors for this site.... Kerry Thalmann of www.reallybigcameras.com is the importer. They do have many lower than $300 I thought? http://reallybigcameras.com/Feisol/Tripods
    Please check out my website www.amoxomphotography.com and APUG Portfolio .....

Images
    I have an Adorama Flashpoint tripod that I've been very happy with. Here's one on sale for $140 similar to the one I have: http://www.adorama.com/FPTPF2228.html I've shot 4x5 and my RZ67 on mine without any problems. Just need to add a decent head; I have a little Bogen ballhead that works fine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin