Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,754   Posts: 1,515,962   Online: 943

Shooter
    4x5 Format

How much do you think it would cost to fix this lens?

So, a Sigma lens that shows these "symptoms":

This is a Sigma 28mm - 300mm DG lens for Canon SLR's. This lens has a red dot (EF mount) so it will mount on all digital SLR's with a red dot.

The lens is in very good condition but the rear element has some haze inside the glass, probably fungus. This causes pictures to have a hazy center.

The lens body shows little signs of use. It was a Quantaray UV filter attached. The zoom and focusing rings are rotate smoothly. The lens extends smoothly. The switches work well. When pointed down and the switch is not in the lock position, the lens barrel does not extend by itself.
    How much do you think it would cost to fix this lens? Thanks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hello

Even if it was in stellar condition it would never be a decent lens!

Keep the haze and use it for soft focus
    vive la resistance!

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    If the quote is a seller's description and you're considering buying it, I'd say walk on.
    Keep looking unless it's going for very little $. Why buy a fixer upper?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    2nd that it's a poor lens in the first place worth very little even if mint.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'd pass on that. I just finished disassembly and cleaning a 28-80 zoom with 13 elements. I was not able to get to every element, and left a few surfaces with some haze. In that condition the negatives and resulting prints still have very good contrast and sharpness. So, if you potential lens actually shows a "hazy center" in the pictures, it is pretty bad, and perhaps worse than the seller knows or is describing.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Thanks all.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin