Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,710   Posts: 1,548,627   Online: 1178

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    35mm
    I've never used the series E but I do have the AI-S 28mm f/2.8 lens and can highly recommend it. You will not be disappointed.
    Carl.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I think I have a copy of every Series E lens that was made by Nikon. Inexpensive and a lot of plastic and unless you have some very specific reason for wanting the "true" Ai-S lens, save your money, get the Series E, try it, see how it works out, if it doesn't sell it and get the other.

Honestly, in my case, I have more worries about ME getting the shot in focus than the lens resolving the image on the film. With all my manual focus lenses, expensive or cheap, when I am able to nail the focus.......the picture is sharp enough. Composition and the character of the photograph is going to make the picture. I can't really say I have any bad copies of any Nikon lens so far.

I can back up my above statement too.....routinely I use a AF teleconverter on my F4S with mostly MF prime lenses. When I do, even chasing after the soon to be 4 year old girl, I am able to nail the shot with perfect focus.......not exactly 100% with the FA or the FE unless everyone is standing still and posing....for a long time....which they hate.

I got my EX or EX+ Series E 28mm from KEH about 2 years ago, it still looks like nobody ever used the thing (like most of my Series E primes). However, great glass is great glass and that 2.8Ai-S is noted as one of Nikon's best, so if you can swing it, get it. You will always be able to get your money back with great glass if it doesn't work out. And yes, I too have been looking and scratching my head over this too......I really want one of the Ai-S lenses too, I just have to much other equipment I need to get instead.

Bob E.
    Nikon F5, Nikon F4S, Nikon FA, Nikon FE, Nikon N90, Nikon N80, Nikon N75, Mamiya 645 Pro, Mamiya Press Super 23, Yashica Lynx 14e, Yashica Electro GSN, Yashica 124G, Yashica D

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Another nod to the 28mm F2.8. A very nice piece of glass, and definitely better constructed than the Series E.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi, I have both. 28/2.8E (later edition with metal ring) has unsharp corners until f/5.6. The center sharpness is very good. Actually its performance is more or less equal to 20/3.5 AIS.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Nikon really threw their optical weight around with the 28mm f/2.8 Ais, front CRC, Nikon Intergrated Coatings, and what looks to me as an extended optical design time, probably using a fairly cutting edge computation programs/hardware (for the time), all based on an already great Nikkor optic, the 28mm f/2. My 2.8 Ais version compares favorably to my 28mm f2, and both were better at wider stops closer in than my version of 28mm f/2.8 Ai, which was an actually quite good lens in most scenic shots, just not closer up nor wider open. I sold off the 2.8 Ai and kept the f/2 and the 2.8 Ais.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Based on my research and the feedback from others, the 75-150mm f/3.5 and the 50mm f/1.8 Series E lenses were the top two performing Series E lenses. Since the 28mm f/2.8 Series E did not perform as well as the 28mm f/2.8 AIS, I purchased the AIS.

I have been very happy with my decision.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/11336821@N00/6179456359/
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lenses 62b labeled sml.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    In regards to the 28mm f/2.8 AI-S, it would be hard to do much better in terms of performance in an SLR wide, unless you go to the rare and expensive 28mm f/1.4 AF lens. For what they cost, every Nikon shooter should have one.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Finally got my hands on it! The size is just right, I thought it will be quite big. Plus the close focus is very refreshing, coming from a Canonet and a Yashica D!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin