Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,990   Posts: 1,524,183   Online: 1107

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Is there a big difference in Nikon 28/2.8 Ai-s and Nikon Series E 28mm?

I have a Nikon 28/2.8 AI-S coming in, and I was wondering if there is a big difference performance wise between that and the Series E 28mm? I mean like an eye opening difference in sharpness wide open. I will mostly be using it at 2.8 and hopefully for long exposure night shots. I don't have the Series E yet so I cannot compare. I am considering the Series E because it is quite small.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Probably mostly in build quality and maybe distortion. Possibly sharpness in extreme corners.
    I don't own either (have the 28 f/2) so I'm just guessing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You are putting the Series E to a pretty tough test comparing it to the AI-S 28mm f/2.8. The latter is one of the best wides ever made for an SLR.

That being said, I am sure the Series E is a good lens.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Dont forget,
    the series E's have no hog nose so forget using it on older bodies without stopping down for metering.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I had a Series E and later replaced it with the 28mm f2.8D AF. There are three different 28/2.8 lenses. The Series E is a 5 element design, while the AiS is a more complex optical formula. The Series E optics were also used in the original version of the AF 28/2.8 lens. It had a poor reputation compared to the AiS, so when Nikon came out with the D-version of the 28/2.8 they redesigned the optics. I have not shot the AiS, but the AF-D version is sharper than the Series E and original AF. Main difference is wide open. Stopped down, the Series E is actually really good. The AF-D is fairly cheap used, so I'd probably go for that over the Series E if you cannot afford an AiS, which costs more used.
    Chris Crawford
    Fine Art Photography of Indiana and other places no one else photographs.

http://www.chriscrawfordphoto.com

My Tested Developing Times with the films and developers I use

Become a fan of my work on Facebook

Fort Wayne, Indiana

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for the replies. I actually have a 28 AIS that is coming in next week. I used a series e 50mm, and I really liked the performance plus the size ( I'm all for small and compact stuff). When I get my hands on the 28 ais I'm gonna see if its just right. I had a 28 3.5 before and it was quite bulky.

Shooter
    35mm
    There is AiS and every thing else, including the plastic AF ..... lenses

AiS first

E series if you are on a budget, the AF etc series lenses are a waste of time and money on a manual body

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    You will be very happy with the 28mm f2.8 AIS. it's one of the best wide angle lenses Nikon ever made. The series E is a inexpensive lens with 5 elements. The AIS is an 8 element lens with a floating element for added close-range performance. It will focus down to .7 feet if I remember correctly.
    Go not to the elves for counsel, for they will say both yes and no.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Also worth nothing is that there is a difference in performance between the 28mm f/2.8 AI-S and the AI. They are different lenses optically. Not all AI and AI-S lenses were different, but these were.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    .7 feet? I gotta research about this lens, that's pretty amazing. It looks like I am really going to enjoy it. Can't wait for it to arrive!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin