Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,956   Posts: 1,522,865   Online: 1120

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Rol_Lei Nut View Post
    That 80-200 is probably the best in that range ever (the much praised Nikon AI equivalent doesn't come close). It is also considered to be better than most of Leica's non-Apo primes in that range (and that's really saying something!).
    It alone currently goes for at least €800 (typical used price).

The R8 is a very nice, if heavy, camera with a great viewfinder (arguably even better than Olympus OMs). It goes for around €400.

The motor drive won't be usable.

The other lenses should be very good (the 50mm Summicron came in several versions over the years). The M-Elmarit *could* be used as a decent macro lens using bellows and adapters.
    You can forget using those lenses on other cameras, except Canon EF...

I'd go for it and give it a try. In Germany at least, you could easily get the same money back for the various items.
    That it's discontinued now means nothing: the price drop occured immediately after it was discontinued.

Also, beware of most answers to Leica-related posts:
    1) most people haven't ever used one and don't know what they're talking about.
    2) many answers will be irrationally and wildly one-sided, whether for or against...

BTW: The R3-R5 models were quite a bit more than rebranded Minoltas: the R4 & 5, at least, had competely redesigned shutters and mirrorboxes and consequently better viewfinders than their Minolta cousins.
    (I'm not even bringing lenses into the equasion, though Minoltas are definitely not slouches!)
    The R8 is quite a different animal from the R3-R7 series, being much more like the Leicaflexes in feel.
    Put an XE-7 next to a R3, its the same camera

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by fstop View Post
    Put an XE-7 next to a R3, its the same camera
    I don't know about the R3 (don't have one), but the R4-R5 definitely have different shutters and mirrorboxes compared to their Minolta progenitors.

Are you sure the R3 is the same *inside* as well?

And try mounting a 19mm II or a 180mm Apo-Telyt on an XE-7...
    M6, SL, SL2, R5, P6x7, SL3003, SL35-E, F, F2, FM, FE-2, Varex IIa

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustafa Umut Sarac View Post
    Even at Leica , Zoom lenses do not reach the quality of Primes. You can buy R4 for 80 dollars from keh com and continue with your Elmar 24 or Summicron 50 for 400 or so dollars.

1000 dollars rest with you , if your R4 broke , you buy another one with another 80 dollars.

To use Leica lens on Canon is a murder , not less than that , its a yob business.
    The R8 is quite a different camera compared to the R4.
    The 80-200mm f/4.0 is generally better than the non-Apo primes it covers.
    The 24mm Elmarit, while still a solid "good" lens, definitely isn't worth $400 (it's comparable to the Nikkor 24mm f/2.8 or a good sample of the Minolta 24mm - which in effect it is).

All the people mentioning KEH: the OP is in Europe (well, sort of) and there are shops in Germany, for example, which are probably cheaper and involve *much* lower shipping costs.
    M6, SL, SL2, R5, P6x7, SL3003, SL35-E, F, F2, FM, FE-2, Varex IIa

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Decided to buy it, got it for $900. Think that must be a good deal. I was afraid of the camera beeing bulky, but it fits perfect in my hand. Don't know about the optical quality of the lenses, but they are for sure built to last a lifetime and more..

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Excellent price , super body and lenses. Use them carefully and insurance them if you can. Whatever I say , They are 60 years ahead of their time. Now its time to invest to Leica Focomat enlarger with Leitz lens with remaining money. You can read every lenses MTF graphs from Leica website. Its becoming dark at Norway but you can shoot magnificient pictures at next May. Best lenses in the world.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Grainy View Post
    Decided to buy it, got it for $900. Think that must be a good deal. I was afraid of the camera beeing bulky, but it fits perfect in my hand. Don't know about the optical quality of the lenses, but they are for sure built to last a lifetime and more..

personally I think you did the right thing

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Congrats!! The more cameras the merrier round here. Be sure to post some images from the kit! Best! Andy

Shooter
    Multi Format

What to do about Leica R Equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by daveandiputra View Post
    I never use leica slr but I know that you can use the R lenses on canon eos with adapter. And judging from the form factor of the R8 compared to the previous models I don't think the motor would fit (just guessing here) and the elmar should be for the M rangefinder series.
    So probably you'll have the body, a 50mm, 35-70, and a 80-200. A solid set if you plan to use it maybe add a wide angle.
    For the price maybe you can check keh.com for guide.
    It's difficult to determine if any of these Leica lenses
    will work on the R8, because they may not be cammed right.
    If they are, then fine, enjoy them.

Daveandiputra is right about the m lens, as well as the projector lens.

Now as far as adapters, you failed to mention if your
    Canon is EOS, or FD. All Canon cameras, are kind of
    like having AB blood, in that they are universal recipients.
    This applies to both film & digital.

If you have EOS equipment, go to Camera Quest;
    http://www.cameraquest.com/adaptnew.htm

If you have FD equipment, doesn't seem to be
    available at the moment; I would go to
    www.CameraQuest.com & E-Mail Steve Gandy...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I found a website wich listed the different Leica R lenses and wich Canon cameras they fit on. All three fits on my EOS, both analog and digital. So I ordered adapters on Ebay, also for the M lens so I can use it for macro.

Wich kind of mount is on the projection lens? Since it's new in box I don't want to unpack it in case I'm going to sell it. But if I could use it for something creative on SLR or LF cameras I will definetly keep it.

Soon I have finished my first roll of Tri-X with the new kit, fantastic camera and lens. Can't wait to develop my first roll. Already I know that my analog EOS won't be used much. My A-team now will be the R8 and OM-1

Shooter
    Multi Format

Use a Projector lens on a projector.

Quote Originally Posted by Grainy View Post
    Which kind of mount is on the projection lens ?
    Since it's new in box I don't want to unpack it in
    case I'm going to sell it. But if I could use it for something creative on SLR or LF cameras I will
    definitely keep it.
    There were adapters to allow Leica Projector
    lenses to work on with a Kodak Carousel Projector.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin