Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,880   Posts: 1,520,477   Online: 918

Thread: Bargain ?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Bargain ?

Some interesting equipment ?:
    MY GAS is really effecting because this:
    http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/rd...570513952.html

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes it's a bargain, but only if you can use it. The local camera store here in Memphis has one for sale for $119.00 and that is I only with a 50/1,8.
    Thy heart -- thy heart! -- I wake and sigh,
    And sleep to dream till day
    Of the truth that gold can never buy
    Of the bawbles that it may.

www.silverhalidephotography.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Dennis:

That ad has been up in craigslist in several similar forms for quite a while.

Do you really need another camera system ?

If you search here on APUG, I think you will learn that some of the Rollei 35mm cameras have some reliability issues.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I've given up on CL after having walked on a half dozen photo items that were busted/ semi-functioning or misrepresented. Sellers were sharks, stupid, or wildly optimistic about their items' condition. Never again.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CGW View Post
    I've given up on CL after having walked on a half dozen photo items that were busted/ semi-functioning or misrepresented. Sellers were sharks, stupid, or wildly optimistic about their items' condition. Never again.
    I've done really well with Vancouver CL - my Omega D6 with Ilford Multigrade head and a raft of older top quality lenses and negative holders being the best examples.

Not to mention Canon EOS film bodies and Rotatrim cutters at ridiculously low prices.

There is a Rollei medium format projector with lens and a bunch of trays currently on Vancouver Craigslist for $100. It is illustrated with the classic blurry CL photo.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    Dennis:

That ad has been up in craigslist in several similar forms for quite a while.

Do you really need another camera system ?

If you search here on APUG, I think you will learn that some of the Rollei 35mm cameras have some reliability issues.
    That is definitely an issue that I have contemplated a few times but IF it was a worthy set-up the $125 might have been a steal.

Thanks for the input everyone.

Yes I have also purchased 75% of my gear through Craigslist. In Vancouver there is a big turnover of touristy types that let equipment go for chump change... (Premium Canon AE 1 WITH winder for $40) And APUG members who give good deals just for being good people.
    Last edited by dances_w_clouds; 09-25-2011 at 11:20 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: additions

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The Rolleiflex SL35-E, while a sweet camera to use, does often have electronic issues. You should really get some kind of guarantee that it's working.
    If now working, chances are it'll keep working for quite a while.

The SL35, not having any electronics, is generally more reliable. That said, I don't really like it. Think a Spotmatic semi-clone but without the "feel" of the Spotmatic.
    I also don't like it's viewfinder (the SL35-E one's very good instead).

The main problem with that deal, however, are the lenses: the main reason to put up with the quirks of the Rolleiflex 35mm SLRs is for their Zeiss lenses.
    Some of the other "original" lenses made for them (mostly Mamiya-built) are also quite good.
    The lenses offered in the "deal" seem to be mainly junk: unless you want to hunt down the various Zeiss and other better lenses for those cameras (not an easy thing in the New World), I'd give it a pass...

P.S. My SL35-E is my light-weight/travel SLR system and some of its lenses are my absolute favorites. The 35 & 85mm f/2.8 Zeiss lenses are tiny and excellent, some of the other lenses have some of the best "3-D look" I've seen.
    When weight is no issue, I use Leicaflex & Leica R, though I still often prefer the Zeiss look...

P.P.S. A useful accessory for the Rolleis is the M42 adapter, which effectively turns them into the best M42 cameras in the world (at least in the sense of having a bayonet mount). Auto-aperture stop-down function is maintained.
    M6, SL, SL2, R5, P6x7, SL3003, SL35-E, F, F2, FM, FE-2, Varex IIa

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I've done really well with Vancouver CL - my Omega D6 with Ilford Multigrade head and a raft of older top quality lenses and negative holders being the best examples.

Not to mention Canon EOS film bodies and Rotatrim cutters at ridiculously low prices.

There is a Rollei medium format projector with lens and a bunch of trays currently on Vancouver Craigslist for $100. It is illustrated with the classic blurry CL photo.
    Maybe sellers in Van are paragons of virtue 'cause they sure aren't in Toronto. I just don't have the time and stomach for that kind of dealing. I keep an eye out but haven't seen much recently I'd bother with.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CGW View Post
    Maybe sellers in Van are paragons of virtue 'cause they sure aren't in Toronto. I just don't have the time and stomach for that kind of dealing. I keep an eye out but haven't seen much recently I'd bother with.
    Funnily enough, the person I bought my D6 from had moved it here a couple of years previously - from Toronto !

I certainly see some "problematic" listings on CL Vancouver, and I approach everything quite cautiously, but there is usually enough activity there that it is worthwhile checking.

It helps a lot that is a fairly busy site - it is mid-afternoon here on a rainy Monday late in September, and there has already been more than 200 listings posted today in the "photo/video" forum. On a busy day, it is not unusual to see 400+ postings, and a good percentage of them are first time postings.
    Matt

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Funnily enough, the person I bought my D6 from had moved it here a couple of years previously - from Toronto !

I certainly see some "problematic" listings on CL Vancouver, and I approach everything quite cautiously, but there is usually enough activity there that it is worthwhile checking.

It helps a lot that is a fairly busy site - it is mid-afternoon here on a rainy Monday late in September, and there has already been more than 200 listings posted today in the "photo/video" forum. On a busy day, it is not unusual to see 400+ postings, and a good percentage of them are first time postings.
    Friends get stunning deals. I love the hunt but just don't have time to arrange meet-ups and do a long drive at odd times only to find the advertised "mint" light and background stands looking recently salvaged from the bottom of Lake Ontario. That was my last experience a few months back.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin