Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,685   Posts: 1,548,560   Online: 1213

Shooter
    35mm RF

Eos 3 v Eos 1n viewfinder brightness

I have an EOS 3, but finding the view is dim compared to my F2. Would a 1n be better in this respect? Or will a focusing screen change helps?

Thanks.
    Dave

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've had both and still have a 1v & 1n.
    I never noticed a big difference but one thing to consider is the 3 is not 100% of image.
    I ended up getting rid of the 3 as I didn't really need it and I preferred the small form factor and snappy af on the 1n.

I use the 1n without booster for when I need a smaller camera.
    It ONLY has 5 af zones but is quite accurate and snappy.

Geelong & Castlemaine, Victoria, Australia
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The 1N's focusing screen is noticeably darker than the EOS 3. The screens are very dense-matte:this makes determination of depth of field precise, but at the expense of illumination. The 3 has 8 different types of screen available; go to a Dealer who will permit you to change through a couple to see if a change provides any improvement. Likewise, the EOS 1N has a stable of screens to change over too, so a bit of experimenting and comparison is in order rather than jump from one camera to another. Mind you, the 1N has firepower where the 3 does not, and it would be (is) my tool of choice. Biased, aint I!?
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    thanks for the inputs,

I ended up getting rid of the 3 as I didn't really need it and I preferred the small form factor and snappy af on the 1n.
    is it really smaller? i never handled a 1n, but always thought they are similar in size.

It ONLY has 5 af zones but is quite accurate and snappy.
    never mind only five, i would be happy with one

Biased, aint I!?
    and you should be

so i guess there's little difference between the two camera, and there's no dealer i can got to test all the screens, it's very rare for camera store here nowadays to stock that kind of things.

dave

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    I used to shoot with two EOS 3 bodies and I don't recall them being too dim, but I have a 1N right now and it is acceptable. The VF is 100% coverage so it is a joy to look through, but it's not extremely bright. It's definitely usable, but I've seen brighter.

I have the EC-B split prism in mine which may or may not make the image darker, but it's just so darn handy because it is SUPER easy to tell when something is in focus. Especially if I am manually focusing.

I may try the original screen again, but I've been really happy with the EC-B.
    - Abram

35mm / 120

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Keep in mind you are comparing an AF camera that diverts some of the viewfinder light to the af sensor to an F2.

Most af cameras aren't ideal for manual focussing due to this.
    I have an EC-B also but haven't gotten around to installing it.

The EOS 3 is a bit boxy/squareish shaped and the 1n is smaller without a BP or PB installed.

The prism on the 3 may be bulkier also because of the eye control.

Shooter
    35mm
    The EOS 3 is larger, lighter, has less delay on shutter release, and the Xtra AF points come in handy when there is less time to take photo's, like on familiy holidays, just quickly grab an AF point and GO.
    When on my own, I always take the 1N,

Can't see any differences in brightness of VF

Shooter
    Multi Format
    A little late to the party here, but I'm surprised nobody's said anything about the lens' max aperture. Larger max aperture generally means brighter viewfinder. So if one lens is f/1.4 and the other is f/5.6 you're going to have a significant difference in viewfinder brightness. If you really want to compare, either get like-sized lenses, or stop down the larger lens to the smaller max aperture of the other. (There will likely be a noticeable difference between viewfinder design of the F2 and EOS 3; to be expected, considering the age difference.)

But if you're just fishing around for an excuse to get yourself a 1N... The 3 is a more advanced camera than the 1N. I have both, I like both. I used the 1N a month ago, the 3 has been sitting in a Crown Royal bag for at least a year. And I prefer my T90 to both of them.
    Fred Latchaw
    Seattle WA

I am beginning to resent being referred to as 'half-fast'.
    Whatever that's supposed to mean.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by flatulent1 View Post
    A little late to the party here, but I'm surprised nobody's said anything about the lens' max aperture. Larger max aperture generally means brighter viewfinder. So if one lens is f/1.4 and the other is f/5.6 you're going to have a significant difference in viewfinder brightness. If you really want to compare, either get like-sized lenses, or stop down the larger lens to the smaller max aperture of the other. (There will likely be a noticeable difference between viewfinder design of the F2 and EOS 3; to be expected, considering the age difference.)

But if you're just fishing around for an excuse to get yourself a 1N... The 3 is a more advanced camera than the 1N. I have both, I like both. I used the 1N a month ago, the 3 has been sitting in a Crown Royal bag for at least a year. And I prefer my T90 to both of them.
    I compared them with both 50mm 1.4 lens Of each make, even tried the nikon 50mm with adapter on the Eos 3. But I may have to point out that I'm well aware of the different spec of the eos 3 and F2 viewfinder and do not intend to compare them.
    I got an offer to buy a 1n, thats the main reason. But in the end I decided against it. The 3 is rarely used as I'm more inclined to take the kiev 4 when I go out now

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin