Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,827   Posts: 1,582,081   Online: 916

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Minolta X-570 problem

Today I found a Minolta X-570 with a bad Vivitar lens at Goodwill for 25 bucks.
    Figuring another X-570 would be a great addition to my existing Minolta stable, I was ready to walk out of the store with it when mywife said, "Why dont you try it out?"

At first I thought it didn't have a battery, but then I heard that little breeping noise of it finding an exposure and lights blinked in the viewfinder. It just wouldn't fire the shutter. I told the lady that I didn't know what was wrong with it but it was no good.

I didn't have the presence of mind to tell her I would give 5$ for it as a parts camera. But shit, it was in beautiful cosmetic condition and I'm afraid they are going to throw it in the trash.

Does anybody have any idea what is wrong with it? I don't think it is the usual capacitator problem because that doesn't usually stop the shutter from firing - it just produces a screwed up picture.

I love Minolta X-570's and really want to rescue this one. It's in perfect cosmetic shape, better than the one I own, but the shutter won't fire. I figure it will take a $100 to fix the body and it will then be worth $75. That's fine with me.

Any ideas?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    $45.00 Garry's camera in Il can fix it, it is the capacitor.
    Thy heart -- thy heart! -- I wake and sigh,
    And sleep to dream till day
    Of the truth that gold can never buy
    Of the bawbles that it may.

www.silverhalidephotography.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    99% this is what you need.

http://www.micro-tools.de/en/Electro...00-C9-C10.html

Its under the base plate on a flexi circuit board - obvious when you remove the base with the spare part to compare - its the only capacitor. careful soldering with a small electronics iron and not too much heat and its an easy DIY. Watch the polarity.

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The reason I avoid X-570/X-700 cameras. It's a baked-in defect that turns them into junk. Too many other cheap, functional 35mm SLRs available to bother with these dogs.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Both my two X700's and the one X300s had that same (capacitor) problem. Annoying but easy to fix. This place is helpful:

http://www.twid.de/x700/#fixc

Sander

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I thought the capacitor would cause the freeze with the mirror halfway up, where if you lift it the shutter will release. A friend gave me an XG-1 with that problem. Are you guys sure about this?

CGW - If I could stockpile a 1/2 dozon capacitators for the x-570 I would. It is a fantastic camera. It's a pleasure to hold in the hands; with smooth, intuitive operation; an extremely accurate meter with almost ideal center waiting, and great glass to be found; a truly superior camera. I have become very attached to mine.

Speaking of which, I remember a website that talked about capacitators to meet this camera's specs today. Where and how would a guy find something like that that isn't old stock?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Where and how would a guy find something like that that isn't old stock
    Microtools' supply (link above) isn't old stock and they ship worldwide. Note the price is for a packet of 5. Its a standard capacitor rating but in an unusual small size. You might find them elsewhere.

I've repaired my X300 - its a dead easy fix and takes 5 minutes.

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Bought 2 X-700s a couple years ago. Both died within a year. Both in mint- shape. Glad they were cheap. Plasticky junk relative to the old heavy metal SRT series.

Funny but none of my stable of Nikon bodies ever dropped dead in their tracks like that.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I just bought a 570 that had the 'no fire' problem and it turned out to be the idler gear in the winding train was binding and wouldn't allow the winding ratchet to fully return when you released the cocking lever.

The screw, a phillips head next to the white gear, had loosened and the gear had no clearance and was binding the gear train. Simply moved the white gear away slightly from the blue gear and tightened the screw.

BTW, this is under the bottom plate. Four phillips screws and you're there.
    Last edited by Fred Aspen; 10-03-2011 at 04:52 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    -Fred

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm really considering going back to get this camera if I can get it for $5-10 or so as a doorstop. Oh, it would be great if it was just that loose screw. Even if it is the capacitor it's a good price for a good body.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin