Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,499   Posts: 1,543,201   Online: 1072

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Sometimes I just remove the prism from my Nikon F3. But I must be careful so that I not drop the viewing screen from the camera.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    The best one yet that I have seen is the Speed Finder for the Canon F1. It is is possible to shift between a sports finder view or WLF view. Good eye relief and I found it suited me better than the F2 and F3 wlf finders, although all of them is a bit on the dinky side compared to a Rolleiflex TLR.
    “Do your work, then step back. The only path to serenity.” - Lao Tzu

Shooter
    Multi Format
    F3 has swappable viewfinders, one for regular waist viewing, another as a 6x waist finder. Also work with taking the prism off and looking right at focusing screen. It may mess with metering and stray light may enter.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Actually the first 35mm SLR's were waist-level-finder cameras.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'll second the Exa. You can buy a nice one with waist level finder and a good lens rather cheaply. Plus, they have all the speeds you need, 1/25, 1/50, 1/100, and 1/150. They are a bit awkward at first with the shutter button on the left. Be sure to get an auto lens, like the Carl Zeiss, Jenna. The Exakta is just to big for me.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Exa I, Exa Ia
    " A loving and caring heart is the beginning of all knowledge " ~ Thomas Carlyle ~

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Since I needed to attach my camera to microscopes and telescopes, a waist level finder has been an important feature for me for a long time. My very first SLR (Miranda Sensorex) had a waist level finder. I also had a waist level finder for my Nikon F, F2, F3, and F4.

Nikon really disappointed me when it failed to equip the F6 and its digital SLRs with this useful feature.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/11336821@N00/5216261276/
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Nikon F2 black 25 sml.JPG  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    For street photography, I frequently slide the prism off my Canon F-1 (original) and compose and shoot just glancing down at the view screen. Scale focus, use the sunny 16 rule, and just take pics.

Jim B.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Of course there are the early Alpas.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by narsuitus View Post
    Since I needed to attach my camera to microscopes and telescopes, a waist level finder has been an important feature for me for a long time. My very first SLR (Miranda Sensorex) had a waist level finder. I also had a waist level finder for my Nikon F, F2, F3, and F4.

Nikon really disappointed me when it failed to equip the F6 and its digital SLRs with this useful feature.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/11336821@N00/5216261276/
    Of course I can't know for sure but I think Nikon made the F6 so that they have a camera that is less expensive to make than the F5 and yet is considered as new/improved and can be sold for more. The interchangable viewfinder feature is simply too expensive and there are few people like you and me that would miss that feature.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin