Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,554   Posts: 1,573,146   Online: 780

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    F4/F4S in 'silent' mode. The other cameras are great machines but big metal machines are never going to be mistaken for quiet.
    "Never criticize someone until you've walked a mile in their shoes. That way, you're a mile away and you've got their shoes."

MY BLOG - www.reservedatalltimes.com
    YOU SHOULD LOOK AT THIS SITE - www.colincorneau.com
    INSTAGRAM: colincorneau

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by bblhed View Post
    Actions like this are why The Long Island Sound is so polluted, it is a not a dump.
    coulda fooled me

I was making a joke

I feel the F is slightly quieter than the F2 and F3

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Of my Nikon's the F100 is the quietest.
    Mark Barendt, Beaverton, OR

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Burk View Post
    I was thinking that too... S2 beautiful and would probably fit well next to the F.

I'm always amazed that the Nikon F kind of looks like a Contax...
    They go almost hand in glove. I just recently purchased both cameras and I love the way the S2 feels and shoots infact I just added a 3.5cm/2,5 for it. As far as quiet, I think my Bessa R makes less shutter noise than the S2.
    Thy heart -- thy heart! -- I wake and sigh,
    And sleep to dream till day
    Of the truth that gold can never buy
    Of the bawbles that it may.

www.silverhalidephotography.com

cmo
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Pumalite View Post
    Thats an adventure from which; you won't recover
    Why that?
    The future belongs to the few of us still willing to get our hands smell like fixing bath.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Legge View Post
    The quiet mode on the F4 is just ... slower automatic film advance, right? I haven't found the camera all that quiet...
    Not sure how Nikon handles it but on a Canon I believe has something to do with mirror return/shutter recock.

It cant even remember what you need to do to get ready to shoot in quiet mode, maybe half depress the shutter?

I never use it.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lxdude View Post
    Hmm, quick question...if part of the Atlantic falls between Connecticut and New York, does it make a sound?
    Only here in Massachusetts

Shooter
    35mm
    Is the Nikon F100 only marginally quieter than the F5 or significantly so and if so what accounts for the difference? Thanks

pentaxuser

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Legge View Post
    The quiet mode on the F4 is just ... slower automatic film advance, right? I haven't found the camera all that quiet...
    Yeppo.

It winds the film & cocks the shutter a little slower than normal. Supposedly to reduce static buildup, or film breakage in super-cold conditions.

Shooter
    35mm
    If anyone cares, I fired an F2, F3, and an F4s to compare.

In the interest of fairness, I did so at arms length. I presume the OP is more concerned about someone he is shooting hearing the camera than himself hearing the camera.

As an aside, my F4 is quieter than my Leica M6. I have no problems convincing people Im not a reporter (Im not) with the M6. When I was 18 everyone thought I was a reporter with the F4.

Quote Originally Posted by cmo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Pumalite View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cmo View Post
    I like the answers :-) And I will try an F4.
    Thats an adventure from which; you won't recover
    Why that?
    JMHO, but the F4 is the "most camera feeling" fully automatic camera ever made. Its a hard thing to explain.

Convince a someone who has only ever shot an F or F2 to pick one up, and half the time you will have to fight him for it back. Give him an N80, N90, F100, F5/6 etc and he might throw it at you out of frustration. ANYONE who can shoot a full-manual camera (or full auto people) can figure out how to use an F4. It works EXACTLY like an F2 in full manual mode, and never gives the user the dreaded "which buttons do I need to hold while turning which dial" fright. Everything works exactly how one would expect it to work.

My only gripe with the F4 is that the program modes dont offer the ability to change Fstop/shutter speed like some newer cameras do. you know, dial through every automatically offered Fstop/shutter combo with the flick of a wheel...

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin