Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,283   Posts: 1,534,959   Online: 944

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    There was the Nikon F2H which had a fixed pellicle mirror (stolen from canon) which should have been the quietest in manual advance mode... Good luck finding one.

David

DBP

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The Nikonos IV and V are almost silent. Not sure about the I-III.

cmo
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nikongod View Post
    As an aside, my F4 is quieter than my Leica M6.
    Seriously?
    The future belongs to the few of us still willing to get our hands smell like fixing bath.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Honestly, any nikon that doesn't need a mirror will always be quieter than anything with a mirror. And with that being said, I've used the Nikon F4's silent mode and from my understanding, anything before F3 is less noisy than an F4

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by BobD View Post
    The F4 has a "quiet mode"
    Quote Originally Posted by Selidor View Post
    My old F5 told me it had a quiet mode.

It lied.
    I bet they're about as quiet as a shotgun going off during a church service

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The F4 may have a silent mode, but it's such a distinct sound sequence that you get noticed even more. The F4 shutter and mirror noise is indeed rather suppressed but put some film in the camera and hence add the noise of the film advance and it gets a bit more noisy than an M6. Still, an F4 is quieter than F2, F3, FM2/3, F90x cameras.

cmo
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Either nikongod's M6 is the loudest Leica ever or there is a hidden 'shut up' setting in the F4.

I am getting confused and need to try that by myself. BTW, I don't think that a Leica M6 is really silent. A Yashica 35cc is silent.

The future belongs to the few of us still willing to get our hands smell like fixing bath.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    All my cameras are quite quiet, but they all tend to do some noise when taking pictures with them...
    vive la resistance!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Leaf shutters are generally very quiet, but AFAIK Nikon never made any cameras using them.

Cloth focal plane shutters *tend* to be quieter than metal ones, but that also isn't really a Nikon speciality.

Anyway, it's probably not just the sound volume which makes a camera noticable, but also its frequency, complexity and duration.
    M6, SL, SL2, R5, P6x7, SL3003, SL35-E, F, F2, FM, FE-2, Varex IIa

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by cmo View Post
    Seriously?
    Yes, 100%

Its possible that I have the worlds loudest Leica. Its still quieter than my Voigtlander Bessa-R though.
    Quote Originally Posted by ooze View Post
    The F4 may have a silent mode, but it's such a distinct sound sequence that you get noticed even more.
    I think its just the presence of the F4. It gets noticed the second it comes out of the bag. If a Ferrari were absolutely silent, it would still turn heads. Maybe not quite as many as it does blasting down the street with the exhaust growling but still.

As an aside, a friend in the local camera club just got an F4s, and loves it. He brought it to a meet, and the instant he took it out of the bag and out of nowhere there was a crowd. Its a weird camera, the F4.

I still think its pretty quiet, but its never discrete.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin