Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,920   Posts: 1,522,024   Online: 925

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by MDR View Post
    A well maintained Nikon FA is pretty quiet at least quieter than my Nikon F, Nikkormat FTN & EL

Dominik
    Not in my experience and I have 4 FAs,Fs and F2s to compare. The FA shutter sounds like it will wake up the dead compared to any other camera.The quietest Nikon shutter I've heard in on their DSLRs.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Actually now that you mention it, My Nikon F is the quietest of my nikons.
    In fact it is completely silent.

It sits on the shelf all day without making a noise.
    Go not to the elves for counsel, for they will say both yes and no.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by darinwc View Post

Looked at that way, my Nikons are my quietest cameras while my Leicas and Rolleiflexes are extremely loud!
    M6, SL, SL2, R5, P6x7, SL3003, SL35-E, F, F2, FM, FE-2, Varex IIa

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    It's hard to say with never having owned many of the Nikon's, but I was very surprised by the quietness of my N80 when I got it. I would say my M3 has it by a small margin.
    W.A. Crider

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by darinwc View Post

Thats the beauty of cameras vs women, cameras know when to open up and when to shut up.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by waynecrider View Post
    It's hard to say with never having owned many of the Nikon's, but I was very surprised by the quietness of my N80 when I got it. I would say my M3 has it by a small margin.
    Here's a side by side comparison.
    Click here for Shutter Comparison mp3

I happened to have access to several of the contenders this weekend, so made this short comparison audio clip. All had normalish lenses mounted.

Cameras used:
    Nkon F3 w/MD4
    F3
    F
    F80 (sold in US as N80)

and a couple non-Nikons for comparison
    Leica M2
    Rolleiflex Automat

If you have Audacity (a free audio program), it is interesting to see the differences graphically as they appear in the file.

Shooter
    35mm
    The Nikon F (N)80 is the quietest Nikon of them all IMO. Sure it's not a classic Nikon or built like a modern pro SLR but it's the only SLR I've ever used that is near rangefinder quiet.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Austinite View Post
    The Nikon F (N)80 is the quietest Nikon of them all IMO. Sure it's not a classic Nikon or built like a modern pro SLR but it's the only SLR I've ever used that is near rangefinder quiet.
    I was surprised by how quiet the F80 is. I tried a couple other Nikons when I made the audio clip I linked to in my post (http://homepage.mac.com/crabtree/shuttercomp/ShutterComp.mp3), but neither was quieter than the F so I didn't include them (N6006-about like F3; FG-20 was kind of clacky, but not excessively loud).

I still like the sound of the F, and of the cameras I tried, only the F3 with MD4 motor was all that noisy. I had to record fairly close up in a quiet room to even hear the F80, Leica, or Rollei.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Of the four Nikons listed in my signature, you'd need to swap the F and the F2 to get them in order from quietest to loudest.

The F4's shutter itself is very quiet. It's just the rest of the camera that makes it noticeable. To test what I just said, put an F4 on "T". Fire the shutter. Turn off the camera, then move the shutter speed dial off "T". You can barely hear the click of the shutter closing. Or, put some weak batteries into the MB-21, etc, and use the camera until it will take one shot, then lose all battery power. The mirror box is slightly quieter than the F's mirror box. I just wish that Nikon hadn't used winding motors that sound like someone sneezing.

The F is pretty quiet with a distinct click when fired. A little quieter when the mirror's locked up, but not by much. Add an F-36, and it becomes much like a motor driven F2, noise level-wise.

The F2: a bit louder than the other two cameras, but still sounds pretty nice and smooth. With a MD-1 or an early MD-2, it sounds much like a motor driven F. Pretty much identical, actually. That said, get a later MD-2 or an MD-3 with stripped gears, and you'll think that the AFLAC duck is following you around.

The F3 sounds a bit like an F2, except for a bit of a clang when the mirror box operates. Not unlike the difference between a Nikkormat FT series body and an EL (or early FM/FE series camera).

F5 is loud, except in Cs mode, when the actual shutter and mirror box combo sounds just like an F3.

FM2n, FE2, FA, and FM3a: Noisy bastards. *CLACK!* Sounds like a deer rifle going off next to your ear.

FG, FG-20, and EM: As they've aged, their mirror boxes have begun to sound like Canon A-series cameras. *squeak*

My experience with the Nikon S2 is that it sounds much like an F, with the mirror locked up. Mainly because the shutter's the same design, just with cloth curtains.

-J
    APUG: F5, F4s, F3P, F2ASx2, F
    DPUG: D200
    Nikkors: 18-70/3.5-4.5G AF-S DX (f/D200), 35/2 O, 50/1.4 AI, 50/1.8 AF, 50/2 H, 85/1.8 K, 105/4 Micro AIS

My FB - My flickr stream
    My SmugMug

Shooter
    35mm

most quiet nikon

The most quiet Nikon is the one with a broken shutter!

DaveO

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin