Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,220   Posts: 1,532,316   Online: 954

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images

Leica R6 SLR -- slight lag in shutter? Normal or not?

I'm looking at a Leica R6 body for $390 (but negotiable); when I fire the shutter, at any shutter speed, I get the impression that the camera is hesitating slightly before actually going through the mirror up-shutter open/close - mirror down sequence. Usually, with most cameras I've used (and I've used a lot), there's minimal shutter lag between tripping the shutter and the camera responding. This R6 strikes me as being a bit on the "lazy" side, but I have no other experience with the camera.

Does anyone find that their R6 is like this, or is it more likely this camera has a problem?

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I used Leicaflex and there was anything like shutter lag. I think there might be a problem. Buy R4 and R3 from keh com starting from 80 dollars. Its faraway cheaper than to repair that camera. If it is broke , you buy another one.

Good luck,

Umut

Shooter
    Multi Format
    All SLr's work the same general way. You press the button and there's a linkage that releases the mirror which then trips the shutter.
    What you're describing is a slow lever,actuator or even mirror. It needs a CLA to replace/remove the old gunk.
    Depending where you send it it can be reasonable(for a Leica) or expensive(normal)
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Yes, absolutely normal-- the R6 and R7 have a noticeable lag.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustafa Umut Sarac View Post
    I used Leicaflex and there was anything like shutter lag. I think there might be a problem.
    The Leicaflexes have one of the shortest (possibly *the* shortest) shutter lags of all mirror flipping SLRs, one of several ways in which they're somewhat "rangefinder-like".

The R series are quite different cameras, so comparisons are meaningless.

Haven't used the R6, but the R4 & R5 have somewhat longer shutter lags than many cameras I've used.
    M6, SL, SL2, R5, P6x7, SL3003, SL35-E, F, F2, FM, FE-2, Varex IIa

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by John Koehrer View Post
    All SLr's work the same general way. You press the button and there's a linkage that releases the mirror which then trips the shutter.
    What you're describing is a slow lever,actuator or even mirror.
    But there *are* big differences between cameras even when working perfectly...
    M6, SL, SL2, R5, P6x7, SL3003, SL35-E, F, F2, FM, FE-2, Varex IIa

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The R4s and R6 feel to me like they have noticeable lag compared to the R3 or SL. I haven't used the R8, R9, or R6.2, but I've heard anecdotes that the lag is less with those bodies. I learned to anticipate the R3 lag (which is pretty small) really well during 30 years of almost exclusive use. When using rangefinders, I had to slow down my release a beat to hit my 'mark' in time.

I haven't seen numbers.

Lee

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Rol_Lei Nut View Post
    But there *are* big differences between cameras even when working perfectly...
    There are differences in lag time, but they all work in a similar manner. Th e shutter is not tripped until the mirror has risen. In that way there are no big differences in SLR's at all.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    The R6 uses an electric shutter, and it seems that shutter release is not instantaneous. The R6.2 has a mechanical shutter, but it also has a hefty price tag. But I think it is the best of all the Leica SLR cameras.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by sangetsu View Post
    The R6 uses an electric shutter, and it seems that shutter release is not instantaneous. The R6.2 has a mechanical shutter, but it also has a hefty price tag. But I think it is the best of all the Leica SLR cameras.
    Both the R6 and the R6.2 have mechanical shutters and no automated electronic modes. The batteries only power the light meter in both these models. The 6.2 adds a 1/2000 shutter speed and some other changes.

Lee

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin