Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,523   Posts: 1,572,255   Online: 735

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by CGW View Post
    A working FG is a sweet camera but their focus screens are not user swappable. The 70-210 is a slouch compared to the 75-150 E series zoom. Given your interests and what you'd get, I'd say go for it.
    I already told the guy no thanks, are you sure about the focusing screen? I'm pretty sure you can.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Nikkor AI 80-200 f/4.5 lenses are excellent and very cheap (the f/4.0 model is also excellent, but slightly less cheap).

No need to to get a Vivitar in this case, even *if* it were one of the better ones.

Also, there aren't many good M42 mount zooms around (M42 primes is another situation entirely).
    M6, SL, SL2, R5, P6x7, SL3003, SL35-E, F, F2, FM, FE-2, Varex IIa

Shooter
    35mm
    I'm not very interested in nikon glass. I have what i need for my f4 already and i never use the fg. i only have interest in it as a backup. What would be a good canon zoom (manual focus) for 400ish tops then?

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Did you check www.keh.com and adorama used department , by the way b&h ? 400 dollars is lots of money and you can buy a 70-210 zoom from Leica. If you want Leica , ask to APUG members at classifieds. Someone reported , it is better than primes.

Shooter
    35mm

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by BryceEsquerre View Post
    I already told the guy no thanks, are you sure about the focusing screen? I'm pretty sure you can.
    Nope. Unlike most of the FM/FE variants, there's no way to change the screen without a major teardown. If you want a cheap Nikon back-up, look at AF models like an 8008s/801s or an F90x/N90s--all work nicely as manual bodies and have swappable screens. Failing that, look for an FE or an FM2(n) for more $.

My fave lightweight street kit is a FG+50/1.8E+100/2.8E--love it.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Yes , it is , you can buy even cheaper.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I recently stated that the Leica 80-200 f/4.0 zoom was generally better than Leica's equivalent non-Apo prime lenses.
    (And also far better than the excellent Nikkor 80-200 lenses I reccommended previously in this thread, which makes one wonder what "far better than excellent" really is ).

Other older Leica zoom lenses such as the 70-210 aren't in the same same class as the 80-200 f/4.0: I've heard they are still good (no personal experience), but are essentially Minolta or Sigma designs built to higher specs.
    M6, SL, SL2, R5, P6x7, SL3003, SL35-E, F, F2, FM, FE-2, Varex IIa

Shooter
    35mm
    Vivitar sold at least two 75-205/3.8 manual focus lenses. The original two touch model is a very good performer and was a great improvement over the earlier 85-205. I wrote about it in a CameraShopper article some years ago. The later one touch version is also a decent lens. I still don't know whether the matching 2X Vivitar teleconverter is for the two touch lens or the one touch lens. In either case, a 150-410/7.6 is not easy to use. The FG does not have a very good reputation for reliability and can't always be repaired. If you can manage something a little heavier, an FE is a better choice. The N2020 makes a nice manual focus camera with a good feature set and selles for very little. It also has user interchangeable focusing screens. I would not be interested in an FG until the price got down to the $20 range.

Shooter
    35mm
    Ah oh well i can find a good deal on a 75 to 205 later on in time. Im not in the market for a nikon body though ahha i don't know why everyone thinks i am. I already have an f4s. If anything, i might get a new focusing screen for the fg and use it as a backup or as an expendable camera (risky shots and what not).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin