Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,983   Posts: 1,523,901   Online: 1050

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks for the replies, all.

The camera has gone off to Newton Ellis, as Carl recommended. I'll report back. In the meantime the baby isn't here yet so I've ordered a cheap FM which should arrive tomorrow. Then, I found out my car needs a new head gasket, £400 including labour. Urgh. Expensive month. Oh to still live in Sweden where I didn't need a car...
    Steve.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by CGW View Post
    Guess this explains why so many old cameras at swap meets reek of Ronsonol...and still don't work.
    The beauty of that is if it pisses you off enough you can just burn the sob and buy another one.

BTW coleman fuel (naptha) works good too and doesn't smell...

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Same thing happened to my FM2. The technician told me the "slow speed unit" had gone bad, and he replaced it after waiting several weeks for the parts to arrive from Nikon. Cost me about $125, IIRC. The camera has been working great in the year since the repair.

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks elgato, the shop reckoned around 7-10 days on the phone, but we'll see.
    Steve.

Shooter
    35mm
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by brofkand View Post
    I'm not sure if the FM2 needs battery power to actuate the shutter, but just in case I'd try a fresh battery.
    I had this problem and a fresh battery did the trick.
    Akiva S.

Nikkormat FTN, Nikon F, Nikon FE, Leica M3

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kshapero/

My Blog

Shooter
    35mm
    Reporting back. The problem was loose parts in the shutter. Newton Ellis rebuilt the shutter for me and did a good CLA. Took four weeks as the repair shop is so busy, they told me they are getting loads of DSLRs in for repair and most of the time there's nothing they can do with them. The shutter on my FM2 was quite 'worn' they said which was surprising as I've always thought I was a low user of film. But then I checked my neg files and I suppose I may have fired the shutter 20,000 times.
    Steve.

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by perkeleellinen View Post
    Reporting back. The problem was loose parts in the shutter. Newton Ellis rebuilt the shutter for me and did a good CLA. Took four weeks as the repair shop is so busy, they told me they are getting loads of DSLRs in for repair and most of the time there's nothing they can do with them. The shutter on my FM2 was quite 'worn' they said which was surprising as I've always thought I was a low user of film. But then I checked my neg files and I suppose I may have fired the shutter 20,000 times.
    I'm guessing your FM2 came to you used? 20,000 isn't that high. Nikon DSLRs are usually good for 100,000 to 150,000 shutter actuations or better on higher end models. Blown shutters seem to be a common problem on D200s and a few others--a pricey but not hugely complicated fix. Sensors and displays are another matter.

Shooter
    35mm
    No, I bought it new in '97. Maybe it's just that it seems like a large number. The repair shop told me that shutter issues on FM2s are a labour intensive job as it's difficult to get in there.
    Steve.

Shooter
    35mm
    You must use it a lot.

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Chan Tran View Post
    You must use it a lot.
    20,000 clicks is around 550 36exp rolls over 14 years or about 40 36exp rolls annually, right? If so, not crushingly heavy use for a 35mm camera.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin