Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,901   Posts: 1,555,802   Online: 791

Shooter
    35mm

New Camera :)...your thoughts

Hey guys I picked up a Minolta Hi-Matic AF2 at a thrift store last week. Ive put a few shots through it. I was just wondering if anyone has owned or owns one of these cameras and has a opinion on them. thanks all

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Good morning;

The Minolta Hi-Matic AF2 is a nice "rangefinder" camera with an early Auto Focus feature. Yes, the AF system can be slow; let it do its job with some scenes. It will get there. The ROKKOR 2.8/38mm lens will provide some nice photographs if it is still in good mechanical condition (not dropped). The AA Batteries are something that can only be appreciated by someone who has run out of power in their rechargeable battery. Some have complained about "red eye" with the little built-in flash. Yes, this is a normal and common consequence of having the flash unit close to the lens. Without having a PC socket or a hot-shoe (perhaps with a hot-shoe to PC socket adapter), we are stuck with it, and cannot go to an external flash unit on a bracket to get away from the lens. Sorry.

And, you might receive more comments by making an inquiry also on the Rangefinder Forum here on APUG.

There are quite a few Minolta rangefinder cameras around here, and the one that I still prefer is the Minolta Hi-Matic 9. While it does have that "Automatic" exposure mode (what now we would call a "Program" mode), normally I just use the Hi-Matic 9 in a fully manual mode. I really do like the full range of shutter speeds from 1 second to 1/500th of a second on the Hi-Matic 9. I guess I am just old fashioned. I have not yet become accustomed to having a film camera do everything for me.
    Enjoy;

Ralph Javins, Latte Land, Washington

When they ask you; "How many Mega Pixels you got in your camera?"
    just tell them; "I use activated silver bromide crystals tor my image storage media."

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks so much Ralph for the plethora of information!! I'm interested in rangefinders and this is the closest I have for now lol I just the size of it and te viewfinder is so bright!! Thanks again Ralph!!!

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin