Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,764   Posts: 1,516,227   Online: 1056

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

35mm sleeving, looking for a long-term stabile solution

hey all,

just wondering what's the difference between these brands, archival-wise, I know that one pack is 25sheets, one is 100shts . I don't want to have to re-sleeve 30yrs down the line, one time if possible. To be stored in archival boxes as I re-organize my negatives from the odd binders into concise, orderly arrangements this fall.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...tive_Page.html

http://www.vue-all.com/8030-35mm-Neg...Saver-8030.htm

I've used the Vue-All's before, and they're nice, but build up static like a mo********** if handled a lot... Its a real PITA if you ask me. I like making SHARP contact sheets, but don't want to unsleeve my negs if possible, just to minimize handling them, especially with color film in the dark.

thanks

-Dan

Shooter
    35mm
    Blog Entries
    Images
    The ClearFile negative sleeves are archival safe, which means that they don't contain any acids or acid-producing materials (no PVC). I use these myself and the only bad thing about them is that they're not exactly antistatic - expect a lot of dust. I have no experience with the Vue-All products, but it doesn't say acid-free anywhere so I'd rather not use that. They claim "museum quality archival storage", but you may want to give them a call first to see if their products really are acid-free.

Re-sleeving, unfortunately, is unavoidable if you want to do it right. 30 years of acid-free storage is a lot already, most archival buffered/acid-free products are rated for only 10y.
    And the sign said, "long haired freaky people need not apply"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The standard for neg storage for many years was Printfile, sold by many supply houses, including Freestyle, an APUG sponsor - you can see them here-
    http://www.freestylephoto.biz/sc_search.php
    They also have a thinner weight to the bottom layer (against which the emulsion lies) to facilitate convenient contact printing without removing them from the preservers.
    I still use them, and find no static issues. I am not aware of the 10 year replacement issue waltereegho mentions.

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I like PrintFile products. Storage materials are something I won't cheap-out on.

Shooter
    35mm
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by George Collier View Post
    The standard for neg storage for many years was Printfile, sold by many supply houses, including Freestyle, an APUG sponsor - you can see them here-
    http://www.freestylephoto.biz/sc_search.php
    They also have a thinner weight to the bottom layer (against which the emulsion lies) to facilitate convenient contact printing without removing them from the preservers.
    I still use them, and find no static issues. I am not aware of the 10 year replacement issue waltereegho mentions.
    I didn't say that this particular brand should be replaced after 10 years . It's just a generalization. A standard A4 archival box, for example, is rated for 10 years. There are 30-year boxes as well (the ones I use at work are blue), but they are much, much more expensive and only used for very important documents. I don't know about these plastic sleeves, but in general, repacking is always necessary somewhere in the distant future. There is no "put away and forget about it for the next 200 years" solution that I'm aware of. Then again, a lifetime may be enough
    And the sign said, "long haired freaky people need not apply"

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin