Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,763   Posts: 1,484,033   Online: 1267

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony-S View Post
    Minolta.

Good morning, Tony;

It may be that any adapter to go from an M-42 lens to the Minolta SR mount will require some glass in the optical path to achieve focus at infinity. Both of the Minolta Adapters for the M-42/Contax/Pentax/UTM lenses and the Leica M-39 lenses are simple machined adapter rings without any glass, and specifically state in the instructions that they are for use in close-up work only, and will not achieve focus at infinity.

The lens registration distance for the Minolta Maxxum/Dynax AF lens mount and the later Sony DSLR AF lens mount is longer than the Minolta SR lens mount, so the same comments will apply there also.
    Enjoy;

Ralph Javins, Latte Land, Washington

When they ask you; "How many Mega Pixels you got in your camera?"
    just tell them; "I use activated silver bromide crystals tor my image storage media."

Shooter
    Large Format
    There's a nice table here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lens_mount

The mount registers of Minolta SR/MC/MD and Minolta AF are both shorter than that for M42. I've used M42 lenses via adapter with infinity focus preserved on a Minolta AF-mount camera.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Javins View Post
    Good morning, Tony;

It may be that any adapter to go from an M-42 lens to the Minolta SR mount will require some glass in the optical path to achieve focus at infinity. Both of the Minolta Adapters for the M-42/Contax/Pentax/UTM lenses and the Leica M-39 lenses are simple machined adapter rings without any glass, and specifically state in the instructions that they are for use in close-up work only, and will not achieve focus at infinity.

The lens registration distance for the Minolta Maxxum/Dynax AF lens mount and the later Sony DSLR AF lens mount is longer than the Minolta SR lens mount, so the same comments will apply there also.
    Hmmmmm nope, both the Minolta SR and AF mounts focus to infinity with plain non-glass adapters. I use a large number of Pentax Takumar lenses with both and have no issues.
    Mamiya 645 Super | Nikon F4/F100 | Minolta Maxxum 9/Dynax 7/X-700/X-500/XD7/SRT-101 | Pentax Spotmatic | Canonet QL 19 (GII) | and a whole bunch of glass

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have all kind of adapters for Nikon, Canon and Olympus OM and all focus to infinity without a glass.
    " A loving and caring heart is the beginning of all knowledge " ~ Thomas Carlyle ~

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My contax camera has no issues with M42 lenses at infinity.... no glass in the adaptor either.
    Please check out my website www.amoxomphotography.com and APUG Portfolio .....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Oren Grad View Post
    There's a nice table here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lens_mount

The mount registers of Minolta SR/MC/MD and Minolta AF are both shorter than that for M42. I've used M42 lenses via adapter with infinity focus preserved on a Minolta AF-mount camera.
    Thank you, Oren and ZK-CessnaGuy;

It is a good thing that you guys are out here keeping me on my toes.

Yes, the M-42 mount registration distance is about 2mm longer than the Minolta SR mount, and it is about 1 mm longer than the Minolta AF mount. The M-42 lenses will go onto a Minolta. This is something that I am really happy to know, because there are some M-42 lenses here that can go onto something other than just my Vivitar 450/SLD camera body. Guys, there are a lot of Minolta SR mount bodies around here, and I do have those adapters. Thanks.

Also, in actually going back into the boxes and finding the literature for the Minolta Camera Company Limited manufactured threaded lens mount adapters for the Pentax and the Leica lenses, yes, the Pentax version does work. The Leica adapter instruction sheet is the one that says that they cannot focus to infinity when a Leica lens is screwed into the adapter.

Well, for a 40 year old memory on this subject, it looks like I was only half right.

Thanks, guys.

Enjoy;

Ralph
    Latte Land, Washington
    Enjoy;

Ralph Javins, Latte Land, Washington

When they ask you; "How many Mega Pixels you got in your camera?"
    just tell them; "I use activated silver bromide crystals tor my image storage media."

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Are there any at all bodies that can meter without stopping down or is it pretty universal.
    W.A. Crider

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by waynecrider View Post
    Are there any at all bodies that can meter without stopping down or is it pretty universal.
    Sort of not, but it's complicated. See the section "Evolution and automation" in this article:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M42_lens_mount

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by waynecrider View Post
    The Rolleiflex SL35-E and SL2000/3000 series will meter and work in automatic *immediately after* you've pressed the Depth Of Field Preview button.
    Not really the same thing as FA metering, but can be very fast in practice.
    M6, SL, SL2, R5, P6x7, SL3003, SL35-E, F, F2, FM, FE-2, Varex IIa

98º 28' 34" W 33º 13' 31" N 386m ( Texas )
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I know Sigma SLR's with their SA mount can adapt to a M42 Lens and focus to infinity.
    Cameras: Sigma SD-14 dSLR & SA-9 fSLR ( Yup, I Shoot Film )
    Lenses: Sigma 28mm, 18-50mm, 28-80mm, 70-300mm, & Orion 1250mm f/13.9 ( 90mm Ø )
    My Facebook page - To Friend me, say you're from APUG.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin