Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,587   Posts: 1,545,825   Online: 1126

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Javins View Post
    Good morning, Tony;

It may be that any adapter to go from an M-42 lens to the Minolta SR mount will require some glass in the optical path to achieve focus at infinity. Both of the Minolta Adapters for the M-42/Contax/Pentax/UTM lenses and the Leica M-39 lenses are simple machined adapter rings without any glass, and specifically state in the instructions that they are for use in close-up work only, and will not achieve focus at infinity.
    I use this adapter with my Minolta X-700 and Pentax Takumar M42 lenses and attain infinity focus with them. No glass required.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony-S View Post
    I use this adapter with my Minolta X-700 and Pentax Takumar M42 lenses and attain infinity focus with them. No glass required.
    Good morning, Tony;

Yes, just about six (6) messages back from yours, I do agree that the M-42 lenses will fully work on both the Minolta SR and AF mounts, but not with the very similar appearing adapter for the Leica or M-39 Screw Thread Mount lenses.

And, the M-42 to Minolta SR Adapter through B&H looks very much like the adapter that I have also, but it is listed as being cheaper than the one that came out of the Minolta box here. Another insult to me, I guess. Oh, well. I have survived many other things in my lifetime.

And, there is a surprise for me in your message: You do not list in your signature line any Minolta cameras. I am surprised to see your comment about using that adapter with your Pentax Takumar lenses on your Minolta X-700.

Also, I still regard the X-700 as being probably the best effort Minolta put out for a "system camera." You can do just about anything you can envision with the "MPS" accessories they made available to work with the X-700. And, for me, the X-700 with the MD-1 Motor Drive really does just fit my hand perfectly. I like that camera. With the MD-1 on it, the shutter release button is right where my finger expects to find it. I just wish they had been as careful with the ergonomics when they came out with the Minolta Maxxum/Dynax 9.
    Enjoy;

Ralph Javins, Latte Land, Washington

When they ask you; "How many Mega Pixels you got in your camera?"
    just tell them; "I use activated silver bromide crystals tor my image storage media."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The X-700 was a freebie to me. It came with a Tamron 35-70mm zoom and I already had a stash of Pentax (and a 135mm f/2.8 Meyer-Pentacon) M42 lenses. So, the adapter was the cheapest way in for me. It is a very nice camera and still does auto shutter speed with my M42 lenses.

There are a lot things I have not in my sig since it would make my sig longer than most of my posts!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony-S View Post
    . . .

There are a lot things I have not in my sig since it would make my sig longer than most of my posts!
    Good morning, Tony;

Please, sir, trust me. I do understand your comment. Perfectly. Conducting an inventory of the photographic equipment around here became an embarrassing task toward the end. Well, actually it is still going on as more things arrive. Some time back when I was asked if I were a collector, I would deny that saying; "Oh, no, I am just a well equipped photographer." Later I had to agree that the label of "collector" really did apply to me. Now I admit that I am actually an addict with almost no control over my life anymore. I really need to find a chapter of Cameras Anonymous.
    Enjoy;

Ralph Javins, Latte Land, Washington

When they ask you; "How many Mega Pixels you got in your camera?"
    just tell them; "I use activated silver bromide crystals tor my image storage media."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yeah, I'm no collector. If I can't shoot it, then I won't buy it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm an unashamed GAS sufferer. I have more than 300 cameras. I shoot them all. I have lots of free time.
    " A loving and caring heart is the beginning of all knowledge " ~ Thomas Carlyle ~

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    For film, I use Spotmatics and M-42 Takumar lenses. I use many of the lenses on my Canon DSLR (5dII). Unfortunately, some of the Takumar lenses will hit the mirror, so they don't work (50MM 1.4, 35MM f2, others). Regardless, I usually shoot in manual mode and the metering with the 5dII works just fine. I just ordered a Canon EOS 3, so we will see if the metering works with that.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin