Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,945   Posts: 1,557,734   Online: 1120

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Vivitar 17-28mm f/4-4.5 zoom

Hi all--
    I just picked up the above lens. Can't find too much about it online--anyone here ever shoot with it? I will soon enough but I was just curious if anyone has opinions on it or knows its strengths/weaknesses.
    Thanks,
    Matt
    --------------------
    "Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it." -Paul Strand

www.glasskeyphoto.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Good morning, Matt;

You seem to have found an unusual lens. From the information I have here, I can say that it was made by Olympus for Ponder and Best (manufacturer code 6), and it is a regular line P&B Vivitar lens; not a Vivitar Series 1 lens. I am surprised at how little information I can find about the lens, but there are a few other Vivitar lenses where information is also rare.

Take it out and try it. See what it does, and if you like the results you get on a print. You can even make your own resolution and contrast tests with the lens and compare that information with comparable models from other manufacturers. The main thing is, do you like the lens? If you like the results you are getting from that lens, then keep it.

You could be surprised. When I compared my Canon EF-S 4.0-5.6/17-85mm zoom lens with a Tamron Type B003 3.5-6.3/18-270mm zoom lens, I found that the wide angle distortion of the Tamron was less than the Canon. Try your lens and see how you like it.
    Enjoy;

Ralph Javins, Latte Land, Washington

When they ask you; "How many Mega Pixels you got in your camera?"
    just tell them; "I use activated silver bromide crystals tor my image storage media."

Shooter
    35mm
    Hello Matt,
    Vivitar 17-28/f4 is one of my favourite lenses. For a 17mm lens, the price is inexpensive and the result is not disappointing at all.
    So far when I shoot at open wide in 17mm with lens hood attached, there's always a soft vignette around the frame.

You can check one of my sets in flickr that using Vivitar 17-28 http://www.flickr.com/photos/jalijal...th/5929890457/

Cheers

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin