Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,939   Posts: 1,557,400   Online: 981

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Stanworth
    Oh, another example is the finest air rifles in the UK ( I used to do a lot of airgunning competatively). Incredible precision engineering (often including small high pressure components hand milled), constant innovation, hand finished, expensive woodwork. The most expensive would come in at about £1000 (Air Arms/Daystate/Theoben/Rileyetc). The build and performance on these is amazing and just make Leica look silly. Perhaps there would be more volume for Leica if the prices were not daft -£2K for a body ! I'll stop sitting on the fence now.

Tom
    Tom I use to do small-bore target rifle at county level, we're not talking about Anschutz here are we here? Absolutely beautiful beasties

Shooter
    Multi Format
    No, not Anschutz (German), but I agree they are superbly well made. Air Arms/Daystate/Theoben/Riley are manufactuerers of pre-charged pneumatic air rifles (charged up with compressed air, usually from a diving bottle). All the target versions used are .177 and can hit a 5p coin every time at 50m. Due to restrictive firearms laws, Britain has really excelled in the manufacture of such rifles, used for Field Target shooting which is kinda like a cross between simulated hunting and golf. It is as addictive as photography, so I'll say no more apart from it must have been good if it got me out of bed every Sunday at 7am while I was at university...

Tom

Tom

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ara Ghajanian
    I just thought I'd get everyone's attention by making a preposterous statement. What are people's thoughts on the F3? Who has one? Any website that you know of that are dedicated to the F3? State you case.
    My "standard" F3 set up is the non-HP DE-2 prism, "T" screen, MD-4 motor, MF-18 databack, and an MK-1 speed control. I love the camera, but to be honest, I think I use my FM2n more than the F3. Come to think of it, I haven't shot much 35mm lately at all...

Anyway, I can't make a case for the F3 being the "best 35mm" nor would I be foolish enough to make an attempt. It has some very good points - it fits my hands perfectly, fantastic selection of finders and screens (I use several), and can use any Nikon F mount lens. It's major weak point - that bloody maximum flash sync speed of 1/80th sec. I guess that's why I use the FM2n more than the F3, at least that camera allows flash sync at any speed up to 1/250th.

I was at the PhotoPlus Expo in NY today and saw the F6. I'll pass on that one.
    Last edited by bobfowler; 10-22-2004 at 09:31 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Bob Fowler
    fowler@verizon.net
    Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I skipped the other answers so I may be redundant. The F3 pretty much sucks.

I started serious photography with a pair of Nikon F's. I now use Canon EOS and Leica M. Of all the 35mm cameras I've ever owned, the Nikon F3 was the biggest disappointment. I bought an early model and the damn thing would never work properly. It would short out on a foggy day. It could not be used near moisture. It sometimes quit working for no apparent reason. It got sent to Nikon Professional Services multiple times--I don't know what they did with it but it didn't help. I complained to people at NPS so much, they sent me a big box of modified F3's for all the photographers at my newspaper to try out. They were designated "F3P" for "Press". They were very reliable cameras--none of the guys at work could kill any of them after a month of trying. The problem was that Nikon wouldn't modify my F3 like those F3's. They could be bought from NPS for about twice what I paid for an off-the-shelf model. I declined with the advisory to Nikon that it seemed odd that they would build a camera so unreliable the first thing they had to do was modify it on a limited basis and not incorporate the improvements in the standard F3.

So, buy a Nikon F2 if you want the best camera Nikon ever built. Preferably the F2A. If not a Nikon F2, go with a mid-line EOS--they do all the things an F3 was meant to do and more. And they actually work!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Tom - Interesting as I've not heard of that manufactuerer before and the sport sounds really good fun

Back to thread - Surely with the F6 coming out the others from the same stable are going to decrease in price, so a more up to date F4 may be on the table instaed of the F3?

Also as already mentioned the F80 is a really good body and I'll throw in the F90X for consideration.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TPPhotog
    Also as already mentioned the F80 is a really good body
    Yes, it's not a bad camera. I've had mine for about four years and it has never suffered any type of problems. However, when I bought mine, I insisted on the external battery pack; the camera is just too small for my hands without it, and the battery pack means I can now use AA batteries for it. I have to admit I use it more as a meter these days; I've transitioned almost exclusively to 4x5.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by roteague
    ... However, when I bought mine, I insisted on the external battery pack; the camera is just too small for my hands without it, and the battery pack means I can now use AA batteries for it. I have to admit I use it more as a meter these days; I've transitioned almost exclusively to 4x5.
    Agreed the battery pack is essential for grip and also lowering the center of balance for longer lenses from 200mm upwards

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The F3? Yes, I thought it was a fine camera (for an slr) until I got hold of a Zeiss Ikon Contarex with a couple of lenses. A bit of a tank, but super smooth and brilliant results.
    I love the smell of fixer in the morning. It smells like...creativity!
    Truly, dr bob.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I dunno about the best ever but I think one of the most prolific cameras ever?

It was in every newspaper of the world, Nikon must have made millions out of those.
    Mama took my APX away.....

Shooter
    35mm
    Well... I cannot talk for or against the F3. I'm still using my old F (built in the Viet-Nam era) and it still fits the bill. One of the toughest body I ever had...

Otherwise, I do appreciate my newer Canon EOS 7N body. I must admit my sighting is less accurate than 30 years ago and electronics makes life a little easier when shooting fast subjects.

But my main body is my Nikon F, for its tank-like reliability.
    Film is cheap and time goes by. Stop talking. Start shooting.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin