Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,055   Posts: 1,561,344   Online: 1088

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have tried a couple of Nikons (F80 & F90x) and a couple of EOS's (100 & 300v) and am still more than happy with my OM40(PC). Its small, light yet solid and has Zukio lenses. I do want an OM2sp or an OM4ti though.
    [size=1]the all new darkplanet photoblog[/size][size=1]
    [/size]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've been using an F3 for a couple of years (other cameras: N60 [crap],FM2 and Mamiya C330s) and am relatively happy with it: the viewfinder is essentially full-frame; I can replace the screen and finder (often using a waist-level finder for street photography); it has mirror lock-up; and it will take any f-mount lens Nikon has made. Down sides: non-standard hot-shoe and slow sync speed (not a problem as I mostly do available light), only has aperture-priority and manual modes. If I had the money, I might have a FM3 instead - assuming that I want to stay with Nikon.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My original post saying the F3 sucks is likely colored by my experience with only one sample of the camera. It was an early model--pre-HP. And it truly was wretched. The only worse experience I ever had with any Nikon was with the motors for the first model FM. The entire staff at the newspaper where I worked bought FM's with motors and none of us could keep the motors working. I finally removed the motor from mine and smashed it in the street while on an assignment at which both the F3 with motordrive and the FM motordrive froze. I never regretted that impulsive, destructive moment because the FM camera body worked from that point on. The lesson is never buy the first year model of anything. I ended up buying used F2 bodies from then on. Never a failure and never a problem with an F2 motor despite lots of rough treatment and heavy use.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks to everyone for their responses both positive and negative. I can always count on APUGers to be highly opinionated. Keep the comments coming and look for my next post "Why Leicas Suck" (my reason: I can't afford one).

By the way, one positive people didn't mention: the motor drive sounds like the beginning of Duran Duran's "Girls on Film". Think about it, that song is going to sound really obsolete in a few years when film is outlawed and digital is welcomed by the photographic community as the standard (sarcasm... don't get your panties in a bind).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I would say that the Nikon F3 is one of the two finest 35mm SLRs ever made; the other one is the Nikon FM2n. I have done alot of shooting with the F3 and FM2n and have found both to be extremely durable and reliable. The F3 has a true system built around it - motor drive, interchangable viewfinders and focusing screens, etc. F3 bodies are very affordable on the used market - one real benefit of the digital hysteria.

If you know how to work a camera and don't need or want automatic everything, you can't go wrong with an F3 or FM2n, IMO.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    For 20 years, I have depended upon Nikon's professional cameras -- particularly the F3 -- and have never once been disappointed. Not one failure of any kind. Most other photojournalists I have known also used F3's -- until digital became the norm for newspapers -- and they also expressed the same confidence in their equipment. I am sorry to hear that some may have had a bad experience with the F3, but I am sure such incidents are rare.

The F3 was, and (IMHO) still is, the finest small format SLR ever made. As for the "non-standard" hotshoe, I never cared for Nikon's Speedlights anyway (I prefer Metz or Sunpak handlemounts).

Having said that, I must ad that I am not too trusting of anything -- no matter how confident one is in it's dependability -- thus a backup camera is essential. When I was in the trenches, mine was an Nikon F2 -- it also performed flawlessly and is still in use today.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    My second opinion on this:

I think the Contax RTS and the Canon EOS 1 VHS are better.

If I was to choose a Nikon I would go with F5 (or F6). I don't like the ealier F's, especially not F4.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What about the Nikon FA? I have heard good things about that camera.

-----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by sparx
    I have tried a couple of Nikons (F80 & F90x) and a couple of EOS's (100 & 300v) and am still more than happy with my OM40(PC). Its small, light yet solid and has Zukio lenses. I do want an OM2sp or an OM4ti though.
    You wouldn't want a OM 2 SP if you knew how fast it drains the battery. I had one back then when it was new and I couldn't afford film cause of the ammount of money used on battereries
    The OM 1 and OM 2n in good condition must be in top five with FE, FE 2, FM2n, F100 and F90X. Eeh top five ? Hmm counting never was my strong point
    Regards Søren

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Soeren
    The OM 1 and OM 2n in good condition must be in top five with FE, FE 2, FM2n, F100 and F90X.
    I have a GREAT OM1 laying around with a motor winder and a 50 mm f/1.8, sadly I never use it as I only have this one lens...

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin