Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,762   Posts: 1,516,172   Online: 1004

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bibowj View Post
    mostly portraits/ weddings and candids. Almost all people related. I currently own a Etrsi, 500CM, Mamiya 67, and a Speed Graphic. I would like to be able to shoot a little quicker, and get a few more shots than the 12-15 per roll w/o sacrificing a ton of quality. Though being a MF and LF shooter, Im wonder if Ill find 35mm adequate .. Im not sure.
    Have you tried a 35mm back for your Bronica? It might give you part of the answer to your question.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    mostly portraits/ weddings and candids. Almost all people related. I currently own a Etrsi, 500CM, Mamiya 67, and a Speed Graphic. I would like to be able to shoot a little quicker, and get a few more shots than the 12-15 per roll w/o sacrificing a ton of quality. Though being a MF and LF shooter, Im wonder if Ill find 35mm adequate .. Im not sure.
    Again, the late model Nikon AF bodies were superb, especially for this type of shooting. Nikon's flash metering system always delivered. With a 50/1.8AFd, 85/1.8AFd, or one of the affordable sleeper zooms like the 28-70/3.5-4.5D or 28-105/3.5-4.5 and a SB24/25/26/28 speedlight, you'd have a very flexible kit that wouldn't bankrupt you. This remains "peak" film gear for Nikon shooters on a budget.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    A fuji 645 rangefinder is in the ballpark on price.....if you want 35mm, Olypmus is nice because it is really compact. Canon EOS is nice if part of what you want is speed of shooting. Honestly, there are no bad systems among the major makers particularly if you stick to prime lenses. The ergonomics of Canon EOS and Olympus OM work well for me.

Shooter
    35mm
    Canon FD system, for sure. Good glass, good bodies... Get an AE-1P or an A-1. I think the A-1 has more options for automatic exposure, but if you're going manual shutter and manual aperture they are mostly the same. The AE-1P has a slightly better "feel" to the shutter dial so you can bracket or adjust on the flight with a mini-flick of the finger,

All you really need is the body and a 50mm. I would suggest a 28mm or wide of some sort. Then also perhaps a zoom or telephoto depending on your tastes. The good news is you can probably get the camera in perfect condition, and 3 lenses plus more kit all under $400 (your budget).

Compared to larger formats, 35mm is relatively cheap.

EDIT: P.S. I find myself using my 35-70mm f/2.8 zoom more often lately. It's nice for framing shots better. I would recommend something like this unless you have a dislike for zooms in general.
    -Markster

Canon AE-1P 35mm | 50mm/f1.8 FDn | 28mm/2.8 FD | 70-200mm/f4-5 FD | 35-70mm/F2.8-3.5 Sigma FD

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    You'll find it adequate up to 11x14 with good glass depending on film.

If you need to do fast work the 35mm is the ticket. You know the MF excels in portraits and you can change out film loaded backs between color and B&W. CGW puts the finger on it with Nikon for flash but I'm sure Canon can be good; Maybe Minolta's got them both beat? The only thing I would do is steer clear of the Nikon 50 1.8 D and instead buy the older "N" model with better build and AFAIC better quality control.
    Truthfully Nikon lost my business when they pulled the old bs buy it now and buy it tomorrow up-grade game. Examples are the 8008, N80, N90 and F4 where they almost immediately succeeded each with the new "S" version or just super-seceded the model altogether, (N80), hop scotching to the newest/greatest with better matrix exposure and tanking the model for people that just bought it; I believe in the same year if I remember right? Then they used crappy plastic that can get sticky which has affected models F100 and down. Where's the beef in the line? Probably the F5, F6 and FM3A at a price. I have no knowledge of the F3 for flash and the F4 is suppose to be a brick.
    W.A. Crider

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by CGW View Post
    ...I'd steer away from F3s or older--F and F2 bodies are really long in the tooth now and many won't live up to repeated claims of near-immortality. The point is owning a dependable working camera, not a semi-functional holy relic.
    See, my mule doesn't like people laughing--he get's this crazy idea you're laughing at him. Now if you apologize, I might be able to convince him you really didn't mean it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dv8HpOn61Hw

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Good morning;

I am not sure what to say concerning CGW's comments about the Nikon F and F2. NikonJohn has been using mainly Nikon F and F2, usually with a motor drive, for many years now. My own Nikon F and F2 cameras are still going, although I admit that I do not have anything later than an F2AS. Finding someone to service a Nikon F or F2 is still an easy task. There are many older Nikon users who feel that the hand assembled Nikon F and F2 are still the best SLR cameras that Nippon Kogaku K. K. ever produced. I like the F2.

Then there are the Minoltas. My SR and SR-T models that have been through a CLA in the last three years are cameras that I depend on. The SR-T 102 is still my favorite in that series. They have not let me down. I admit that my feeling of security is slightly less with the later models with the increasing dependance on electronics; the X-700 (which I love with the MD-1 Motor Drive), X-570, X-370, XD-11, and others in the "X" Series, but I have not had any failures with them, and I have a lot of Minolta camera bodies around here. And, while I do like the Minolta Maxxum/Dynax 9 Auto Focusing Mount 35mm film camera, it and the lenses to go onto it may not be in the price range you suggested.

Others have spoken of the Canon FD mount cameras and their lenses. I do not need to repeat those.

In many ways, with almost any of the bodies in the manually focusing cameras and prime lenses to go on them, you really need to hunt to find a camera system that will not work for you. Try almost any of the recommendations you have here. You will not be disappointed.
    Enjoy;

Ralph Javins, Latte Land, Washington

When they ask you; "How many Mega Pixels you got in your camera?"
    just tell them; "I use activated silver bromide crystals tor my image storage media."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Almost everything by a reputable brand is great in terms of both glass and cameras. Nikon, Canon, Olympus, Pentax, Minolta, just to name most of the main ones. I would make the decision based on compatibility. In other words, when you shoot digital, or when you do some day, what system do you use (or will you use)? If Canon, get an EOS film camera. If Nikon, the possibilities are near endless. If another brand (e.g. Pentax), do some research to find out what will be compatible with older film cameras. (I am not sure what is compatible with these other brands.)
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I owned some nice EF glasses and became curious to shoot film. So, I decided to buy very simple EOS film camera and the choice fell on EOS 650.

This camera just works.

After a while I became interested on mechanical ones. At first on Lecia M3, but it was too expensive for me to experiment. Finally, to Olympus with holy trinity glasses 35, 85 and 135mm zuikos.

Additionally, a boring 50mm zuiko.
    Last edited by baachitraka; 10-24-2011 at 03:57 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    OM-1n: Do I need to own a Leica?
    Rolleicord Va: Humble.
    Holga 120GFN: Amazingly simple yet it produces outstanding negatives to print.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Leica R4s and some "BGN" glass from KEH would do it.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin