Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,503   Posts: 1,543,421   Online: 852

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm

Pentax ME and Pentax MX

Does anyone know why for every 12 ME models on the market one finds only one MX?

Was there that much disparity in sales when they were introduced? The ME is the only Pentax that I have found so prone to breaking (circuitry failure) and I would much rather have the more reliable. mechanical MX. I think that the initial prices were the same. Comments? - David Lyga

Shooter
    35mm
    According to a Pentax book I have, the ME of course catered to people who preferred/required aperture priority auto exposure mode and that auto exposure made it easier for folks to use an SLR. The listed price in old catalogs I have show them similar in price with the MX even being slightly cheaper. Electronics were beginning to prove themselves reliable about this time too.

But of course in the used market there is no accounting for previous owner!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Auto-exposure was a pretty big deal in the marketplace back then; a major convenience. It put a camera into a completely different category. Looking back after 30 years, you would rather have the reliability, but you know how to do an exposure.

I love my ME Super, it was the first "real" camera I ever owned, but alas, it has succumbed to circuitry failure and lost its ability to meter. So now it is essentially an MX but still dependent on a battery. I am tempted to put a battery in it and do some sunny 16 shooting. In fact, in recent weeks, whenever I walk past the display shelf, it calls out to me to be fondled, cocked and dry fired. It is getting impatient on the shelf and wants to go out and take pictures.

Shooter
    35mm
    MX is one of my favorites, I think it is the smallest slr that I have. It is hard to find parts cameras for repair though, so treat it well

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    MX is a fine camera as is the ME super,I really don't like the lack of manual controls on the plain old ME.As the other posters point out though the ME is from a time when most people wanted auto exposure making it a high quality point and shoot for the time.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I suspect - on the basis of no data whatsoever - that current MX owners are more likely to use and keep them.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The MX was touted as Pentax's "professional" model, so possibly they've had a harder life than the ME models and simply haven't survived in the same numbers. Having recently bought one I can see why they were so highly thought of. I won't be parting with mine!

Shooter
    Large Format
    I had no idea these were desirable now. Somebody offered me an MX body in nice condition for $100. Is that a decent price?

Shooter
    35mm
    Depending on condition and color - black or chrome, a $100 MX may be anywhere from a bargain to a great deal!

Shooter
    35mm
    The MX was my very first SLR back in the early 80's and had many years good use out of it. I remember the ME-Super being around as well, but preferred a manual mechanical camera with a good old fashion shutter speed dial rather than the push-buttons of the ME-Super. I must admit, I haven't seen that many either on the used market.
    Carl.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin