Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,274   Posts: 1,534,691   Online: 1021

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What are you shooting at 1.4? Your DOF is going to be so narrow everything IS going to look blurry. Most fast lenses don't live up to peoples expectations when opened all the way, stop it down and your AF will speed up because now it has something to lock onto. Also learn how to shoot manually before relying on AF. I have maybe one or two AF cameras that rarely if ever get used because I like to shoot manual. When I am out and about I have my lens set for light and distance. I know the effective range of my lens and I do not shoot past that. Seven feet is about the farthest out I shoot because I shoot from the hip and I have learned to judge distance well enough to be able to get the shot.

Stop the lens down and try again.
    Thy heart -- thy heart! -- I wake and sigh,
    And sleep to dream till day
    Of the truth that gold can never buy
    Of the bawbles that it may.

www.silverhalidephotography.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Other than his user name I see no indication that he is shooting at f/1.4. I am not aware of a medium format lens that fast anyway. The fastest I am aware of is the 1.9 manual focus for the 645.

If fast auto focus is very important for your work, then 35mm is the way to go. OTOH, if the problem is that the medium format autofocus is WRONG, but you don't necessarily need it to be that fast, just go manual focus medium format.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by guitstik View Post
    Stop the lens down and try again.
    The F100 normlly autofocuses at full open aperture.
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Consider going manual focus. As much as I'd like to like autofocus I actually find it slower and an impediment to my method of shooting than manual focus.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    The AFD has garbage autofocus. I used it in manual mode almost all the time. Eventually sold it and prefer the 645 pro. I think the newer AFDs have much better AF but still, you're not going to get anything nearly as good as Nikon AF, let's face it.

I did do some sports with the AFD but it was in manual focus mode!!! Yeah, the AF was just annoying. But I did find the focus confirmation very useful.

I would suggest going for 35mm for bumblebee work, when you need to move around a lot and focus quickly. And use 645 or go to a larger format e.g. 6x7 for the times that you can manually focus and compose at your leisure.

Different tools for different purposes. Too often people think they can treat a 645 like a 35mm and scan frames and get a bajillion pixels etc... nah, a 35mm camera is a completely different tool in almost every way. Don't feel guilty for selecting the tool best suited for a particular purpose. There are plenty of things I could only do with 35, and likewise there are things I could only do with a view camera. That's life.

If you must have an AF medium format camera and like the 35mm feel then consider the Fuji GA645Zi rangefinder. I have successfully done sports with that, even. It's noisy as heck but fun and way lighter and smaller than an AFD.
    Last edited by keithwms; 10-23-2011 at 11:31 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Your problem is that you try so use the 645 as if it was a 35mm camera. AF on medium format is for the patient and subjects that, preferably, don't move. If you are trying to do focus tracking or whatever, just focus manually and get over it. If you really do need AF then shoot the 35mm and sell the Mamiya. Simple as that.

As for those you say are shooting weddings with a Contax 645, I've read interviews of a few of them and they all said they focus manually.

So don't expect that dropping a few $$$$ on a Contax is going to solve your problem.
    Hasselblad, Mamiya RB, Nikonos, Canon EOS

Shooter
    35mm
    Use the medium format camera for portraits and formal shots, use the 35mm for action and candids.

Shooter
    35mm
    Nobody else seems to have mentioned this so maybe I am wrong but I would have doubts that the F6 will give you anything in the way of higher resolution or better prints in the same size compared to the F100.

If you have your heart set on the F6 and it does have some advantages over the F100 in certain circumstances then go for it but you might be disappointed if you expect it to deliver the same advantages in terms of prints as MF as well as having the advantage of fabulous AF as the added bonus.

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by F/1.4 View Post
    So far, it seems like most clients have been OK with the quality, but I did have a couple clients complain about the pictures being blurry and grainy. They were perfectly in focus, it's just that I was shooting at f/1.4 and film doesn't have that digital sharpness, not to mention 400 speed 35mm film is grainy compared to MF or digital
    From what I gathered, the OP seems to like shooting wide open all of the time.

My point being, shooting wide open be it MF or 35 will be blurry/grainy, even the fastest Leica lenses will do so. A narrow DOF has it's place but not where there is action. It is best suited for the studio or art shots.
    Thy heart -- thy heart! -- I wake and sigh,
    And sleep to dream till day
    Of the truth that gold can never buy
    Of the bawbles that it may.

www.silverhalidephotography.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by guitstik View Post
    From what I gathered, the OP seems to like shooting wide open all of the time.

My point being, shooting wide open be it MF or 35 will be blurry/grainy, even the fastest Leica lenses will do so. A narrow DOF has it's place but not where there is action. It is best suited for the studio or art shots.
    This is purely a style choice, I'm a "2.8 and be there" type shooter myself. This is easy and fast with the F100 or N90s in AF and very doable even with my FM2.

It does take some practice but I shot my daughter's sports this way for years. I shoot ski racing on occasion and rarely stop down further than f/4.
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin