Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,935   Posts: 1,585,616   Online: 689

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by j-dogg View Post
    Your F100 with some top-tier ED glass should be fine. I have shot various 35mm rolls through my EOS system with pro-grade L-glass and with pro-grade film would put them against anything taken with a 645 any day of the week.

Glass, cellulose and composition are the three key ingredients in a good photograph. I have nailed damn near perfect shots on a $10 EOS 650 film body with my 70-200/4L IS. With that camera the only time I missed a shot was when I needed a wide and had a tele mounted, and vice-versa.

I shot an outside wedding reception with it today and was impressed. A little loud for my tastes but it gets the job done without complaint or issues. I have done 3 weddings in 35mm format + full-frame digital (more 35mm than digi, the digi is mainly to test exposure vs. older bodies and for my portfolio) using mostly Canon EOS systems and have never once had any issues. Prints and enlargements look great. I've ran the gamut on EOS bodies and I love the simplicity of the 650, and the AF of the later bodies like my Elan 7e.

Now I am on the other side of the fence here, I've been using 35mm and want to cross over into MF and I'm not afraid to manual focus. I ran a roll through my Nikkormat practicing focus time and I seem to nail it damn near every time. I was thinking the RB67 Pro-S for anything I would enlarge and anything planned or premeditated and my EOS system for when I need to get a quick shot or something I wouldn't need to enlarge past 4x6. thoughts?
    That helps makes me a little more confident in shooting 35mm, i'll have to see what comes back from RPL, it would be nice to shoot 35mm for pretty much everything. I'm done with weddings until February anyway (at the moment), so we'll see. I checked out the place where it will be and it's going to be challenging, be it film or digital. It's pretty dark so I'll probably be shooting mostly 35mm anyway.

One thing that's really nice about the Mamiya is that it does great for the group shots. Lots of detail means you can see everyone

I have a friend with a Pentax 6x7 and he makes some great work off of it.

Quote Originally Posted by daveandiputra View Post
    The hasselblad AFs, the H series if I'm not mistaken, was advertised as having very fast AF.
    I never used any AF nikons, but my view on the AF of the older F5 and F100 compared to F6, is it really that superior? If you go 35mm it'll be better to invest in lenses I say and for wireless flash there's many way to get around it from the cheap Chinese transmitters to the more sophisticated pocket wizards.
    I've used a Hasselblad H2D-22 and I can comment on the AF. It behaves just about as poorly as the 645AFD. Even though it's thoroughly modern, the AF system works like it was made in the 80's.

With the F6 I get 11 AF points vs. 5, and 9 of of the 11 AF points are X-type, meaning I can pretty much focus anywhere I want and not have to worry. The F6 also has a quieter shutter and manual rewind so I don't disturb anyone as much during the ceremony with my camera winding up like I do with the F100's or god forbid the Mamiya (which I just don't even bother with for quiet ceremonies)

With the F6, it's alot of little things that add up over the F100:
    better meter
    better AF
    better viewfinder
    better flash compatibility/metering
    smoother and quieter shutter
    manual rewind
    data imprint between frames or at the end of the roll

Pretty much the only downside are the CR123 batteries. And If I sell the Mamiya and one of my F100's, i'd only be out a few hundred bucks. I feel pretty content with my lenses anyway (24 f/1.4G, 35 f/1.4G, 50 f/1.4G, 24-120 f/3.5-5.6VR). I can rent anything else pretty easy.

I'm not a big fan of the F5. Hard to see what AF point you're using and it's way bigger and heavier than i'd want any 35mm camera to be. If i'm shooting sports, i'm not shooting film anyway.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by F/1.4 View Post
    ... the Mamiya still can't keep up.
    Umm, no.

Sorry to be so blunt here but, while I agree that an F100 (or F6) is a great tool for shooting fast unpredictable situations and well worth having in your bag at weddings, it also seems to me that you are suffering from G.A.S., blaming the tool, and chasing a magic bullet (the F6) to solve problems that don't exist.

For example, the F100 lacks little of practical consequence when compared to the F6. Read the manual a bit closer and you'll find that your F100 can do "manual" rewind too. Just change the setting in the custom setting menu, problem fixed.

The focus dot thing is a red herring too IMO. If you have time to move the dots around for each shot, which is a constant "need" with changing compositions, you have time to focus and recompose with the Mamiya. I've actually given up on moving focus dots because it takes too much time and there are better ways. Instead I pre-focus and pre-set exposure. To this end I've set my F100 not to AF when the shutter button is pushed, I use the AF ON button on the back instead, this is another custom setting menu thing. The Mamiya can be used in the same manner with either MF or AF.

Yes it is harder to use MF and requires more attention, more practice, and admittedly doesn't fit every situation, so what.

The real questions here are (when it's appropriate to use MF to get the end result expected) 1-whether or not you willing to do that extra work and 2-whether or not your market is willing to pay more for the extra quality.
    Mark Barendt, Beaverton, OR

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by markbarendt View Post
    Umm, no.

Sorry to be so blunt here but, while I agree that an F100 (or F6) is a great tool for shooting fast unpredictable situations and well worth having in your bag at weddings, it also seems to me that you are suffering from G.A.S., blaming the tool, and chasing a magic bullet (the F6) to solve problems that don't exist.

For example, the F100 lacks little of practical consequence when compared to the F6. Read the manual a bit closer and you'll find that your F100 can do "manual" rewind too. Just change the setting in the custom setting menu, problem fixed.

The focus dot thing is a red herring too IMO. If you have time to move the dots around for each shot, which is a constant "need" with changing compositions, you have time to focus and recompose with the Mamiya. I've actually given up on moving focus dots because it takes too much time and there are better ways. Instead I pre-focus and pre-set exposure. To this end I've set my F100 not to AF when the shutter button is pushed, I use the AF ON button on the back instead, this is another custom setting menu thing. The Mamiya can be used in the same manner with either MF or AF.

Yes it is harder to use MF and requires more attention, more practice, and admittedly doesn't fit every situation, so what.

The real questions here are (when it's appropriate to use MF to get the end result expected) 1-whether or not you willing to do that extra work and 2-whether or not your market is willing to pay more for the extra quality.
    What this dude said.
    5x7 Eastman-Kodak kit, under the knife for a bit
    4x5 Graphic View / Schneider 180 / Ektar 127
    RB67 Pro S / 50 4.5 / 90 3.8 / 180 4.5 / WLF / prism finder / polaback
    Random 35mm stuff

Shooter
    35mm
    What is this 'auto focus' everyone keeps talking about. Have I missed something?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by pen s View Post
    What is this 'auto focus' everyone keeps talking about. Have I missed something?
    Yes, poorly focused images.....
    M6, SL, SL2, R5, P6x7, SL3003, SL35-E, F, F2, FM, FE-2, Varex IIa

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Have you checked the AF system to make sure it is focusing correctly? I know on my digital Nikon, the AF was off until I used the fine tune correction. I have had AF 35mm systems where I was sure the system was off, but not a good way to easily check and fix it. I can easily see the Mamiya just being out of tune, and loosing lots of shots because of that. If it's just AF speed and shutter lag, then switch to manual focus. With practice and a good screen MF can be just as fast as AF for me (but I don't shoot weddings).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by markbarendt View Post
    Umm, no.

I would have been beaten with my 35mm cameras by Jack (who i learned wedding photography from) if I ever used them for my primary wedding cameras when I used to shoot weddings.

MF cameras, pre-focus and pre-set exposure as above.

Have fun!

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by pen s View Post
    The auto "Focus" is a small economy car built by Ford Motor Company.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    ^^
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've got a Focus, but it is a manual Focus.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin