Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,958   Posts: 1,522,998   Online: 1177

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

MD-11's & 12's...

I recently purchased a MD-12 on ebay to pair with my Nikon FM. I just received it this afternoon and it doesn't operate. The seller was most kind and refunded me the entire purchase amount including shipping, and said that I could keep the drive and start a career in camera repair.

I took the top cover off to see if there were any corroded battery contacts, but didn't go any further than that. I did not want to remove the wires that were on top of the chip board, and I didn't want to remove the chip board to go any lower to check the battery contacts.

Are these things expensive to repair, and is it worth trying to save? It in great cosmetic condition. How reliable are these things today? I realize that they are older pieces of equipment, but are the ones that work still fairly trustworthy?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    So what doesn't work about it? You mean, no red light when switched on and no "zip" when the button is pushed? Have you mounted it to the camera yet?

I recently went through the experience of mating a MD11 to a FE. It took a LOT longer than I thought because, well... they seem fickle.

One thing to check is to put fresh batteries in it, turn it on, and place a quarter over the electrical contacts. That should cycle the drive (if it is going to work at all) and prepare it for mounting on the camera.

I can't remember the mounting "secret" though - the camera either has to be cocked, or not.

I terms of repiar, I don't know. But they seem to be quite affordable that if you can't get that one going it might be just as well to buy another.

Once I got mine going it has functioned 100% reliably.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I put brand new batteries in it, turned it on and nothing. No light, no click, no turn, no nothing. I mounted it to the camera and no light, no click, no turn, no nothing. I moved the switch, changed it from continuous to single, checked battery placement, loosened the battery screw, tightened the battery screw, pressed the shutter, removed it from the camera, banged it a bit... Nothing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Bummer. Sounds d-e-a-d.

Just for chuckles, take it off hte camera, put batteries in, switch on, and pit a quarter across the 4 contacts. If nothing then I'd suspect it is either getting no power (bad contacts or switch) or the electronics are somehow shot.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Oh, and not to be rude or anything... but you are sure the batteries are loaded correctly?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ok I did the quarter thing. It moved. If I 'bounced' the quarter up and down on the contacts I can make the drive turn. So its not dead, its operator error.

I'm googling a manual now.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    OOOOOHHHHH SNAP! It works. I dont know what I was doing wrong earlier, but it works now. Now I'm going to go send the guy his money back.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think (not sure though) that the MD 11/12 has a quirk that it can get out of synch. But the quarter trick seems to re-synch them. I got my MD-11 for $10 because the seller thought it was dead. So did I until someone told me this trick. Good luck, I hope it works out for you!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yeah It seems temperamental.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Also, if I recall... there's a switch on the FM that needs to be turned when using the motor. My FE is electrically swithced so this is from memory -- the switch on the FM is surrounding the shutter release. Check it out because my memory has been known to be faulty at times.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin