Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,300   Posts: 1,535,835   Online: 874

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

My reliable RTS photos

Since the thing that we all have in common is taking photos, and the topic here is the RTS, I thought I would share a few that I took with my RTS (I). I'll try to give some extra exposure/dev information where I can remember it.

The first one here is of my wonderful niece. She is not quite 2 and 1/2 in this photo. RTS (I) + Planar 50 1.4 (AE)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Avery!.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Avery!-2.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	511.0 KB 
ID:	47360Another of my niece. RTS (I) + Planar 50 1.4 (AE) ... I think both of these were on Portra 400 (the new stuff that hopefully will still be around a while longer)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    And for good measure, here's a scan from wet print. Photo taken with Contax S2 and Distagon 28 2.8, at around F5.6, IIRC (Which is unlikely) ... I remember working hard to burn in that hole in the fence while printing, which you can probably see now that i mentioned it. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cochese-Bucket.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	74.0 KB 
ID:	47361

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I bought a 167MT in Hong Kong when, now -- sometime in the late 1980's? It has been working fine every since. Because I always wanted an RTS II, I bought one at a photo fair in France. It was only a couple of week later that I discovered that the camera body was not properly registering the maximum aperture of the lens, as transmitted from the lens to the body by a finger on the back of the lens engaging with a lever in the bottom of the lens mount. My f/2/8 lens would variously jump from being f/1.4 or f/4 or whatever depending on what I presume is some sort of resistive track in the body. I took the body to Pro Photo in WashDC and they couldn't fix it, and told me that they'd spoken with Nippon Photo in NYC, who said they couldn't fix it either. So I've got a nice RTS II that I can use as a manual camera with a handheld meter, which would be frustrating as I know it could do so much more. Perhaps I'll buy a cheap AS-IS body in the hope of getting a part that can be used to fix mine. If anyone can recommend any other Contax repair shop I can talk to, I'd appreciate it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't understand it. Are they being lazy to read up on a camera they haven't worked on for a long time? Or are they unable to find the repair manual on the Internet? I guess it's the same as in Prague, where the former official Contax service shop doesn't even know how to reattach a mirror. Pathetic. Even I could probably fix this for you. Your camera might not even need any spare parts. It must be possible to have this repaired in the U.S.

There was this guy who specialized in RTS IIs, at least ten years ago:

http://photo.net/neighbor/view-one?n...hbor_id=145425

You could also contact Mark Hama, and I'm sure there are other options, too
    Fred

Shooter
    Multi Format
    "If anyone can recommend any other Contax repair shop I can talk to, I'd appreciate it."

Essex? Don't know- just have seen the name come up with happy customers. Good luck with your RTS II.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Jeff, there is a place in BC that services Contax. I'm sorry I don't remember the name of the place but I could probably do a search through my email if google can't help you.

I seem to remember that they had a lot of parts in stock, still. I never used them because the cost of shipping international was prohibitive.

I hesitate to recommend Mark Hama because he is so busy and he is so meticulous and excellent that I want him to stay a secret, but you could send it to him and more than likely he will get it fixed. Just don't be in a hurry. It could take several months, not including customs. Shipping to and from Toronto would probably be quite a bit more reasonable to BC. I'm actually shipping an old 139Q to Mark, today, so he can use it as a parts body.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Thanks, folks. I know I've used Essex before, and I believe I've used Mr. Hama as well, years ago. I'll check with them, and with the gentleman in Elmhurst, NY, as recommended. I've got to get this thing back on its feet!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin