Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,222   Posts: 1,532,390   Online: 1099

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Canon T70 - one tough camera

While shooting pics at a local event I had to have my hands free for something and shoved my T-70 in my jacket pocket. Two seconds later I had to move and *THUNK* the darn thing fell out of my pocket onto the grassy lawn below. The odd thing? I didn't panic nor even have the slightest bit of concern. I knew it was unharmed. And it was, perfectly fine.

If I'd done the same with my Nikon D90 I'd be moaning... or would I? Are DSLRs really that fragile or is it an unjustified fear? I know if I'd dropped my N80 I'd be very concerned too. Are there 35mm cameras you'd *think* are toughies but are wimpy?
    In life you only get one great dog, one great car, and one great woman. Pet the dog. Drive the car. Make love to the woman. Don't mix them up.

Shooter
    35mm
    Much maligned, much disdained, not even made by Canon.

But, really, it takes pitures of the same quality as the revered F-1. Costs were cut in ways that do not really impact the precision. Although the film gate is plastic, I wonder how much more 'inferior' that is, compared to metal.

This 'inferiority complex' genre of the Canon T series is, perhaps, misconstrued. The cameras are worthy, albeit not 'sexy'. - David Lyga.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I picked up a Canon T something this spring at a liqudation auction.

I'm happy with how it works, but don't use it heaps.
    I mostly use it as a 'teacher' camera that I introduce new to film sorts camera users on. It is my only autofocus camera.
    Most compact d** P&S sorts are overwhelmed to have to do all sorts of things like meter, and focus at the same time.

I bought a 50mm autofocus canon prime off of one online site or other - I cannot recall which it was - about a year ago for a reasonable amount to use on a D***SLR.
    That camera is owned by a theatre group I belong to.
    They want me to use it for portraits I take of thier performers.
    With the kit lens that came with the D*** SLR camera, I just could not stand the major depth of field it yielded for portraits that were to be credited to me.

So then I had the lens, and no camera for it.

Well the T something - I can't recall if it is a 50 or 70, or something else, came to me for something like $15.

It has a crack in the LCD display, but the display works fine, as does the rest of the the camera, as long as you pony up for the proprietary, albeit long lasting, battery.
    my real name, imagine that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't think it's a T camera Mike, because none of them were autofocus.
    Ben

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    I don't think it's a T camera Mike, because none of them were autofocus.
    I believe the T80 was Canon's first autofocus (albeit a very strange-looking on-lens autofocus mechanism.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canon_T80

edited to add link
    Best Regards,
    Larry

EOS-1, AE-1 Program, Konica FC-1, Konica Autoreflex T, Konica Auto S2, Mamiya-Sekor TL 1000, Carl Zeiss Werra III, Contax D, Zeiss Ikon Nettar 215, ......good lord, I have a problem.....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The Canon FTb is very robust also.

Jeff

Shooter
    35mm
    The T70 is a very good camera and I use it the most as I trust it and know with matching flashgun it will deliver results, and if I dropped it, would just buy another as they are so cheap (well I own two so would have to drop both )

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I bought a T70 at a yard sale for my daughter, paid $5 for it. She shot the dickens outta it until she picked up an AE-1, that's her favorite now, she doesn't care for the "does most of the work for you" mode on the T.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum
    BTW: the big kid in my avatar is my hero, my son, who proudly serves us in the Navy. "SALUTE"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence Sheperd View Post
    I believe the T80 was Canon's first autofocus (albeit a very strange-looking on-lens autofocus mechanism.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canon_T80

edited to add link
    This was an autofocus lens, not a camera it relied on subject contrast, that was so slow and laboured in use to render it useless, it was quicker and easier to focus manually.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    This was an autofocus lens, not a camera it relied on subject contrast, that was so slow and laboured in use to render it useless, it was quicker and easier to focus manually.
    The lenses had the motor and controls in them, however they would not autofocus on any camera but the T80.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin