Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,312   Posts: 1,536,667   Online: 816

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by rolleiman View Post
    Just found an interesting site: "The Small Battery Co."....they give useful info on the matter. According to them, it seems the most satisfactory solution is the MR voltage reducing converter.
    I have one of these converters and it works perfectly. Just like the original mercury battery. They are relatively expensive though but should last a long time.
    " ... a cook who relies on nothing but a sharp knife has no guarantee of producing excellent dishes." - Yoshihisa Maitani

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by onepuff View Post
    I have one of these converters and it works perfectly. Just like the original mercury battery. They are relatively expensive though but should last a long time.
    If a comparable quality OM1+MR9 adapter is less than an OM2, then go for it. Otherwise, why bother?

Shooter
    127 Format
    Because the OM1 is an all mechanical camera and the OM2 is an electronic, auto-exposure camera. Very different cameras.

The only other all mechanical Olympus OM is an OM3 and they are quite a lot more expensive.

...But, they don't need a battery conversion.
    - Bill Lynch

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by rolleiman View Post
    re. the suggestion of a Pentax MX instead, I'd considered it, but there seems a lack of s/h bodies around in decent condition.
    Have you heard of KEH.com?

BTW, they lists OM1's that appear to have been converted to use the modern 1.5V cels.

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by wblynch View Post
    Because the OM1 is an all mechanical camera and the OM2 is an electronic, auto-exposure camera. Very different cameras.

The only other all mechanical Olympus OM is an OM3 and they are quite a lot more expensive.

...But, they don't need a battery conversion.
    Despite the received wisdom, electronics aren't necessarily less durable than mechanical shutter trains whose accuracy isn't "forever" as many assume. Fact remains, any OM1 is getting to be a very old camera that possibly led a tough life with little or no maintenance.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    John Hermanson of Camtech has been an Olympus repair technician for many years. He does complete overhauls and part of the overhaul is to convert the camera to take a 1.5 volt battery. And a very reasonable price.
    Dave

"She's always out making pictures, She's always out making scenes.
    She's always out the window, When it comes to making Dreams.

It's all mixed up, It's all mixed up, It's all mixed up."

From It's All Mixed Up by The Cars

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by CGW View Post
    Despite the received wisdom, electronics aren't necessarily less durable than mechanical shutter trains whose accuracy isn't "forever" as many assume. Fact remains, any OM1 is getting to be a very old camera that possibly led a tough life with little or no maintenance.
    *All* types of cameras will need CLAs every few decades or so.

Most people who have actually used different kinds of cameras extensively will have had more electronic ones suddenly fail than mechanical ones.
    Mechanical ones may lose their adjustent slowly over decades (but then I have a 1968 Leicaflex SL, a 1969 Nikon F and a couple of other similar vintage cameras which are nearly spot on and probably never had a CLA).
    Electronic cameras will more often suddenly die and require proprietary circuit boards to fix (which are also likely to be what's wrong with any "parts" cameras as well).

Re C.R.I.S. adapters: there are cheaper unbranded ones available and one can make one's own as well.

Just a few points:
    1) The alternatives to mercury batteries are easy to use, accurate, dependable and can also be cheap.
    2) Electrronic cameras are not inherently better than mechanical ones and mechanical shutters definitely *can* accurately expose slides.
    3) For manually focusing a lens, AF focusing screens are almost always *not* better than screens desgined for manual focusing. They may be brighter, but don't snap into focus the same way. Especially with faster lenses.
    4) Newer cameras are not always better than old ones.

Sorry for the rant....
    M6, SL, SL2, R5, P6x7, SL3003, SL35-E, F, F2, FM, FE-2, Varex IIa

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have 2 OM-1ns and one need a definite CLA. I am looking for an authorized service person in Germany. Can anybody help?
    OM-1n: Do I need to own a Leica?
    Rolleicord Va: Humble.
    Holga 120GFN: Amazingly simple yet it produces outstanding negatives to print.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    All the information you will ever need!

http://www.butkus.org/chinon/batt-adapt-us.pdf

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I have 2 OM-1ns and one need a definite CLA. I am looking for an authorized service person in Germany. Can anybody help?
    Not Germany, but I highly recommend Mike Spencer at http://www.camerarepairs-r-us.co.uk/. he has CLA'd both my OM1n and OM2, changed the foams and converted the OM1n to take SR44 cells. He sorted a dry joint in the meter circuit on my OM1 and he also changed the prism on my OM2.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin