Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,338   Posts: 1,537,724   Online: 796

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

OM1n battery issue

I'm new to this site, so apologies if this subject has come up before.

With the mercury batteries that used to power the OM1n meter, no longer available. Are there any Olympus users out there who've tried the alternatives.......i.e. MR9 voltage reducer in combination with silver oxide 1.5's, Wein Cell etc., if so, are they satisfactory?.......giving accurate readings?....reasonable battery life?

I'm not yet an Olympus user, but am thinking of changing, in order to reduce the weight I'm currently carting around with my current system.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Not an Olympus user, but I've used the alternatives with many other cameras & meters.

Very satisfactory, just as accurate as the original meter, life varies depending on the alternative used.

My favorite is a C.R.I.S.-type adapter with silver cells. Wein cells are expensive and have a relatively short life, though some people report that by partially blocking the air hole, life can reach a year or so.
    Hearing aid batteries can be cheap and in many cases simply a wadded-up ball of alu foil is all that's needed to make them fit.

Pay no attention to some nay-sayers who call these solutions "fiddly" and improvisational: I haven't once regretted using them or missed mercury cells.
    M6, SL, SL2, R5, P6x7, SL3003, SL35-E, F, F2, FM, FE-2, Varex IIa

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use Wein cell batteries for my OM-1n. Since all it powers is the meter, I get over two years use from one, makes it reasonably priced.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    35mm
    In that case get the Pentax MX instead.

Smaller, modern batteries, larger full info viewfinder.

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by rolleiman View Post
    I'm new to this site, so apologies if this subject has come up before.

With the mercury batteries that used to power the OM1n meter, no longer available. Are there any Olympus users out there who've tried the alternatives.......i.e. MR9 voltage reducer in combination with silver oxide 1.5's, Wein Cell etc., if so, are they satisfactory?.......giving accurate readings?....reasonable battery life?

I'm not yet an Olympus user, but am thinking of changing, in order to reduce the weight I'm currently carting around with my current system.
    Save the headaches and get an OM2 or later that uses silver oxide cells.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    [QUOTE=Rol_Lei Nut;1252335]Not an Olympus user, but I've used the alternatives with many other cameras & meters.

Very satisfactory, just as accurate as the original meter, life varies depending on the alternative used.

QUOTE]

Thanks for that, it's reassuring to know, and I gather that the other OM's are not affected by the battery issue...although I prefer the fully mechanical option.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    re. the suggestion of a Pentax MX instead, I'd considered it, but there seems a lack of s/h bodies around in decent condition.

Shooter
    127 Format
    I use the zinc-air and hearing aid batteries. They work great and are accurate but have shorter life. It's a great low-effort solution

I have one OM1 that was converted internally to use 1.5v batteries and that's the best solution.
    - Bill Lynch

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Not completely on topic, but perhaps the life of Wein and hearing aid cells is also strongly influenced by how air tight a given camera's battery compartment is....
    M6, SL, SL2, R5, P6x7, SL3003, SL35-E, F, F2, FM, FE-2, Varex IIa

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Just found an interesting site: "The Small Battery Co."....they give useful info on the matter. According to them, it seems the most satisfactory solution is the MR voltage reducing converter.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin