Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,816   Posts: 1,581,635   Online: 866

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Yashica FX-103 mirror issues with ML 50 1.9

So I picked up a sweet little Yashica FX-103 with the ML 50 1.9 today at the thrift shop and it seems to be doing something weird with the mirror. If I am correct, this lens mount is correct for the camera - but when focusing out past 2 meters, it hangs on the mirror! I have taken it apart as I first thought it was sticky seals, but it's clearly the mirror hanging on the lens. Could the mirror have slipped down out of place by a few millimeters? It seems very firmly in place, not loose at all. Or could it be the lens (I don't have another C/Y mount here to try)? I spent a whopping $10 on this, but it came in the full kit with leather bag (in fantastic shape), manuals, and a flash that looks like it's never been touched. Shutter seems fine - tested it out with no lens on at all speeds. What should I do?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Are there any good camera repair places near you? If not, you could send it to Yashica tech Mark Hama in Georgia. He used to build Yashica TLRs, but I had him CLA a Yashica FX3 Super and he did a good job. You'd probably pay around $100 to get it right.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It could be that the lens was serviced once upon a time and the helical assembled incorrectly. If it focuses at infinity, ignore this post.
    Can you push the mirror straight back in it's frame?
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Lens focuses to infinity, but when I snap the shutter it hangs and will only release back when I remove the lens completely.

Mirror won't budge in the holder. It almost looks like it's sticking out just a hair, but without another body to compare it to, I have no idea. It clears the compartment just fine though. Confusing!!!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    No direct experience with that camera, but in another recent thread on Contax RTS reliability (same manufacturer), mirror slipping was mentioned as a recurring problem.
    M6, SL, SL2, R5, P6x7, SL3003, SL35-E, F, F2, FM, FE-2, Varex IIa

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Sounds like mirror slip to me.
    I don't have that camera but if it's similar to Contax this is how you check and fix.
    The glass mirror sits on a metal frame. Apparently the glue used to stick the mirror gets soft over the time and mirror slips - heat causes this problem.
    Flip up the mirror and check if the outer edge of glass mirror flush with the metal frame.
    If it is, ignore my post and wait for others' opinion.

If the mirror and the metal frame not flushed (you can't miss this part - easy to see. Although we are talking about possibly less than a milimetre difference here) you are now experiencing a symptom called 'mirror slip' - very common among Contax cameras.
    This is how I fixed my RTS II ...
    Place the camera in warm place (you are heating up the glue again). Don't heated up too hot just warm enough is good enough. Once it's warmed up slowly but firmly push back the mirror.
    If the mirror doesn't move maybe it's not warm enough. If you pushed the mirror back in, leave it for a day or 2. The mirror may slip again due to creep in the glue.
    Do this 2-3 times until mirror stayed in and not slipping anymore.
    A dab of epoxy glue between mirror and metal frame will fix it almost permanently.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ha - it worked! I used a hair dryer for about 45 seconds and warmed up the mirror and it slipped right back into place! I now have it cooling and will dry fire to ensure it's in the right spot before I try it out soon with a roll of film! Thank you so much for the valuable information!

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin