Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,224   Posts: 1,532,573   Online: 991

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I like this selection:
    Any 105mm f/2.5. Truly, the Alpha and Omega of Nikkors.
    50mm f/2
    24mm f/2.8

If you want my desert island scenario it's

28mm f/2
    50mm f/2
    " A loving and caring heart is the beginning of all knowledge " ~ Thomas Carlyle ~

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Yeah I was reading the links above and it seemed a pretty comprehensive site. It was very informative as to ghosting and flare and the variations. According to what I read, my picks would included the above with the addition of the 50-300 and the 80-200. I am especially interested in the long zoom lenses for shooting in the SW.

I'm looking for a FT2 (just missed one here) so if anyone knows anything drop a line.
    W.A. Crider

Shooter
    Large Format

Favorite Nikkors

Personal taste plays a big role, but you will see a few lenses mentioned repeatedly. Actually, bokeh aside, these old lenses were mostly surprisingly good, even compared to modern lenses. Here are some of my favorites (and not favorites):

24/2.8 - a great wide angle. The 28/3.5 is fine, but you will see the 24 on almost everyone's list. There are at least a couple good 20's also, but the 24 is good, widely available, and not expensive.

35/2 - I'm very happy with my non-"C" version (not multicoated). The survey link in post #2 gives some good info on the variations. I had the 35/1.4 and was happy enough with it. It is sharper than the f2 but to my eye, bokeh is decidedly better with the f2 version. The 1.4 was noticeably easier to focus.

50/2 and 1.4 are both great lenses. The f2 is definitely sharper over the whole field, but the 1.4 is a fine lens and has been my preference lately. Neither is generally known for great bokeh. People will show of photographs with nice bokeh from both (and I can too), but both can look pretty mediocre (or worse) in that regard at some stops and distances. I think the bokeh is slightly better with the non-multicoated versions.

105/2.5-either version. As already mentioned this is one of the great Nikkors. The later Gauss type is really sharp and has good bokeh. The Sonnar is plenty sharp and has a nice look.

The 85/1.8 gets mentioned a lot and is a very nice lens, but you mention bokeh, and too me it is not in the same class as the 105's, or at least not as consistently. Like the 50's, it can be excellent (especially wide open), but this is one where, to me, the bokeh deteriorates seriously as it is stopped down.
    Last edited by Mark Crabtree; 10-30-2011 at 12:18 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The 105 2.5 is mandatory
    I have an early gauss version and will also pick up the earlier sonnar to compare at some point.

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by brucemuir View Post
    The 105 2.5 is mandatory
    I have an early gauss version and will also pick up the earlier sonnar to compare at some point.
    The 85/1.8 and 135/2.8 are sweet if you'd like to skip the line-ups for 105s.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CGW View Post
    I don't know if i'd skip that length, my 105 2.5 is way too nice.

One day I'd like to have the 105 2.0 DC.
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I also have the 135 2.8 (pre ai) that I got really cheap right here at apug recently.
    Only used it once so far but for the money it's a great deal if you can deal with the focal length.

I actually like 135mm but a lot of folks don't these days if you believe online chatter.

I have the EF 135 f/2 for EOS canon and that thing is amazing.

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by brucemuir View Post
    I also have the 135 2.8 (pre ai) that I got really cheap right here at apug recently.
    Only used it once so far but for the money it's a great deal if you can deal with the focal length.

I actually like 135mm but a lot of folks don't these days if you believe online chatter.

I have the EF 135 f/2 for EOS canon and that thing is amazing.
    The lack of openmindedness about lenses here and elsewhere can be tiresome and misleading. I guess it's soothing to repeat received wisdom when that's all you've got. This always interferes with these discussions, especially discussions of Nikkor lenses when specific limitations and shortcomings are overwhelmed by generalizations and vague "chatter," as you put it.

Shooter
    35mm
    The lack of openmindedness about lenses here and elsewhere can be tiresome and misleading. I guess it's soothing to repeat received wisdom when that's all you've got. This always interferes with these discussions, especially discussions of Nikkor lenses when specific limitations and shortcomings are overwhelmed by generalizations and vague "chatter," as you put it.
    What "limitations and shortcomings" do you see being overwhelmed? Threads to questions like the OP's often decay into 'look at all the stuff I own' monologues, and not just when discussing specifically Nikkors. I don't really see that happening here. Could you be more specific?

s-a

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I was being serious about the 105 2.5 being mandatory even though I put one of those goofy things after to indicate, (take with one level pinch of salt).

I think everyone ought to have one considering a pre ai can be had for around 100.00 if you shop carefully.

It's not especially fast but a good one can sure deliver the shot.

That's one of the bonuses we are seeing despite other products dropping like flies.
    We get to try stuff we may not have had the opportunity to otherwise.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin