Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,217   Posts: 1,532,161   Online: 960

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by brucemuir View Post
    I was being serious about the 105 2.5 being mandatory even though I put one of those goofy things after to indicate, (take with one level pinch of salt).

I think everyone ought to have one considering a pre ai can be had for around 100.00 if you shop carefully.

It's not especially fast but a good one can sure deliver the shot.

That's one of the bonuses we are seeing despite other products dropping like flies.
    We get to try stuff we may not have had the opportunity to otherwise.
    I thought you were. It's not just a standout but outstanding too. If you consider an aggregate of resolution, sharpness, color quality, build quality, durability and duration of manufacture it probably outdoes every other lens/formula Nikon has ever made or is likely to make. I have an old 10.5cm and almost never use it but whenever I have it has indeed delivered the shot.

s-a

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by semi-ambivalent View Post
    What "limitations and shortcomings" do you see being overwhelmed? Threads to questions like the OP's often decay into 'look at all the stuff I own' monologues, and not just when discussing specifically Nikkors. I don't really see that happening here. Could you be more specific?

s-a
    I'm sure CGW will speak up to expand on his comment, but I agree that lens discussions tend to go the direction he described (as I understand it). I also agree with s-a that this discussion has been better than most. I think one thing that helps when discussing old Nikkors is that there are quite a lot of people around who've had long and varied experience with them, more so than probably any other 35mm camera brand.

The fact that there is sometimes disagreement is a good sign to me in that people have different tastes and concerns. The OP's mention of bokeh really helps to narrow the field with Nikkors.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by semi-ambivalent View Post
    I thought you were. It's not just a standout but outstanding too. If you consider an aggregate of resolution, sharpness, color quality, build quality, durability and duration of manufacture it probably outdoes every other lens/formula Nikon has ever made or is likely to make. I have an old 10.5cm and almost never use it but whenever I have it has indeed delivered the shot.

s-a
    I agree 100 percent with that (right down to not using mine much). It is kind of funny that Nikon nailed it so well with two successive and completely different versions of that lens. I do have a guess that this fl/aperture might happen be a relatively easy target to hit. I always thought that Nikon's "E" series 100mm was an extremely nice lens also, and I had an Olympus 100/2.8 (IIRC) that was my favorite lens of the ones I had in that system (when the OM system was new). (Just edited to mention that I realize these last two examples do not in any way live up to the build quality and durability s-a mentioned for the 105's)

When you bump up a stop, the field of lenses start to drift into different directions more noticeably.
    Last edited by Mark Crabtree; 10-30-2011 at 04:50 PM. Click to view previous post history.

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Crabtree View Post
    I agree 100 percent with that (right down to not using mine much). It is kind of funny that Nikon nailed it so well with two successive and completely different versions of that lens. I do have a guess that this fl/aperture might happen be a relatively easy target to hit. I always thought that Nikon's "E" series 100mm was an extremely nice lens also, and I had an Olympus 100/2.8 (IIRC) that was my favorite lens of the ones I had in that system (when the OM system was new). (Just edited to mention that I realize these last two examples do not in any way live up to the build quality and durability s-a mentioned for the 105's)

When you bump up a stop, the field of lenses start to drift into different directions more noticeably.
    The large number of RF105/2.5s sold obviously proved that the market loved 'em enough to carry the original design and its kids forward with successive SLRs. I prefer the 100/2.8E for its size and weight. It really gives away very little to the 105/2.5. The 105/4 Micro is also sweet but a bit hard to find. I'm still a sucker for the old 85/1.8 and prefer it to the later--and very different design--85/1.8AF. The 85/2 didn't really cut it. Ironically, the new and dirt cheap(<$300) manual Rokinon 85/1.4 is looking like a killer lens on film and digital cameras.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I rarely shoot the 105 2.5 stopped down but about 2 months ago I was shooting it @ f/8 and IMMEDIATELY upon inspection of the negs I went...woah...(this thing kicks some serious behind)

Now I've only used the 85 f/2 and that was when I borrowed one on a large project I was assisting.

The 85 1.8 gets tons o luv and also gives you a good deal more handholdable speeds in low light.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    So now that everyone has spoken so highly of the 105 I'm sure the prices will go up so I guess I'm going to have to wait. Ha. Actually, though I do have a FT3 body, the focusing is screwed up and doesn't align at infinity so I'm going to look for the FT2 body before I buy the 105.

I do like the 135's. I've got a Super Takumar that is just as sharp as my 50mm F1.4 SSC, but early at F4 and with better bokeh and small. I just can't use it on a Nikon body tho.
    W.A. Crider

Shooter
    Large Format
    I'm sure this has been mentioned on the forum more than once, but there is some very nice historical information about Nikkor lenses on the Nikon site. More of a technical approach but very interesting.

Link-Nikkor History

Here' the page on the 105/2.5.
    Link-Nikkor 105 f2.5

There is a quote on that page that always intrigued me:
    "An anecdote back from the era of the Nikkor Auto lenses. There was a lens that delivered incredibly sharp resolution, but the defocus image (blur) was not so good. particular lens branded the whole Nikkor Auto family with a reputation of having bad defocus images, especially in Japan."

I've often wondered about that, and exactly which lens it refers to. Since waynecrider (the OP) particularly mentioned bokeh, I think that is relevant in this disscussion. There are really only a very few possibilites for that time frame. I've come to the conclusion that the author is talking about the Nikkor-H Auto 50mm f2 (or possibly it's predecessor, though I am not familiar with its imaging characteristics).

Link for the discussion of the various standard speed 50's.

I do like the 50 f2 (inspite of far from stellar bokeh in some situations) so didn't immediately think this was the lens the author meant, but last night I spent some time researching the offerings of that time and don't find another likely candidate. Anyone agree, or have a different suggestion?

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Among the pre-AI lenses
    ...the "K" versions are preferred...they have AI optics and construction, just without the AI mount
    ...the "K" lenses also have multicoating...
    ...lenses marked H.C, S.C, P.C, Q.C are also multi-Coated but have pre-K construction and optics..."C" lenses' coating seem to give about 1/3 F-stop more contrast/brightness over the earlier non "C" version

From my experience:
    The 50mm/F2 people like is the one with the rubber focusing knurl...it's the "K" version......
    The pre-AI 50mm/1.4 to look for is the S.C
    The 85/1.8 was never AI, though a "K" version was made and the optional Nikon AI aperture ring was available...
    The 135/2.8 Q.C is VERY good, but it is considerably "heftier" than the later "K" and AI versions
    The 135/2.8 K is VERY good
    The 180/2.8 P.C is the old Sonnar optic version...the AI and later ED versions are gaussian optics
    The 200/4 Q.C is very good...the one with the longer focusing knurl and closer focusing (7') than the earlier 200
    The 300/4.5 H is much better than reviewers claim, if not as good as the later ED

Enjoy the hunt and good shooting...
    Last edited by kitanikon; 10-31-2011 at 03:26 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by kitanikon View Post
    ...The 300/4.5 H is much better than reviewers claim, if not as good as the later ED
    This is one I'd like to have, for the sort of financial nostalgia brucemuir mentions up-thread.

s-a

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by brucemuir View Post
    I also have the 135 2.8 (pre ai) that I got really cheap right here at apug recently.
    Only used it once so far but for the money it's a great deal if you can deal with the focal length.

I actually like 135mm but a lot of folks don't these days if you believe online chatter.

I have the EF 135 f/2 for EOS canon and that thing is amazing.
    +1
    " A loving and caring heart is the beginning of all knowledge " ~ Thomas Carlyle ~

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin