Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,940   Posts: 1,557,444   Online: 805

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Fixed-lensed rangefinders vs Japanese SLR lenses

I don't see much comparison between these cameras for obvious reasons. They are different systems with their own set of pros/cons but how do the lenses compare wide-open in terms of contrast and sharpness? I don't care so much for bokeh.

I only care about the 50mm and I shoot at wide-apertures quite often. I have a Canon P with the 50 1.4 and a Konica Auto S2. I prefer the build of the Canon but the lens on the S2. Overall, I prefer the S2.

I want a smallish compact 35mm camera for not-that-much so I figured that a Retina III would have a better build and maybe a better lens than the S2; however, 35mm SLR's are cheap so I might ditch rangefinders for an OM1n or a Nikon FM with a 50 1.4. If money weren't an issue then I'd get a Leica M3 with a Summicron but I'm allergic to their price-tag...and I'd rather spend that money on medium format gear anyways.

Shooter
    35mm Pan
    fujica compact deluxe, if you can find one

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Olympus RC or RD. Superb lenses...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Try some cameras with 40mm lenses. I tend to like that focal length better than 50mm. It also opens up the playing field as there are a number of nice non-SLRs sporting the likes of the Color-Skopar. It also gives you the chance to get maybe one of the best pieces of Leica glass, the Summicron-C 40mm lens along with a really nice body that is smaller than the M series Leica, the Leica CL. I agree that Olympus on its fixed lens pre-XA cameras had some mighty fine glass. They learned to make 1st rate lenses with the 1/2 series of cameras they made. Also, look at the Rollei 35 series and if you can find a working on a Minox 35 series. The MDC Minox seems to be the best bet.

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The Nikon FG is the smallest SLR they made. It's often available as a kit with the 50/1.8E for very little $. Hard to beat for features, optics, and value. It's my "winter" street kit since it, along with a 100/2.8E, fits into a coat pocket.
    Last edited by CGW; 10-31-2011 at 09:25 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Long ago I used a Canon f/1.4 50mm for indoors sports. Then Kodak produced T-Max P3200, and I could switch to a Summicron. Despite the more prominent grain of the faster film, the images were far sharper. Also, one stop faster shutter speed helped. A Retina with f/2 lens was a fairly good performer, but the build quality wasn't near that of Leica, or perhaps even Canon. CGW is right about the Nikon FG and series E lens

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    The konica's have great build and great lenses. The retina's, because of the folding design, are inherently problematic.
    if you like your konica so much, get the konica auto s3. It's much smaller than the S2.

In SLR's, try the pentax ME Super with the 50mm f1.7 lens. (or the plain ME if you dont use full manual exposure)
    Go not to the elves for counsel, for they will say both yes and no.

PDH

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Pentax PZ 30 with AF 40mm pancake
    Pentax ME with 40mm pancak
    Konica TC with 40mm pancake

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The SLR bargain is probably the Nikon N75 - $35 at KEH. Sells with the 28-80 cheap zoom for $50 on ebay. Unfortunately the 50mm f1.8 AF lens' price has gone up to $75 to $100.

The combination, with either lens and film, batteries and strap, weighs less than 1.5 lb.

The downside of the N75 is it won't meter with AIS glass.
    Last edited by Nicholas Lindan; 10-31-2011 at 11:42 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    DARKROOM AUTOMATION
    f-Stop Timers - Enlarging Meters
    http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The Nikon 50mm E is really nice. But I paired mine with a nikkormat, so not much compactness there. The Olympus Om1 is really nice too. I acquired one recently and I think this is going to be the 35mm camera of choice for me. Focusing is so much easier and it is not bulky. For fixed lens RF's why not try a canonet GIII? The 40mm is a nice view.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin