Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,702   Posts: 1,482,657   Online: 646

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 24 or 28 mm?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Mostly agree with the "it's not very different", but sometimes that little bit extra is good. You are right to worry about lots of nothing in the frame and my suggestion is "get in close". The beauty of wides is that they can give you unusual perspectives, not that there's way too much background creeping in. Also suggesting a 20mm...

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    For me there is a categorical difference between 24mm and 28mm. I think of 28mm as the widest lens I'd use where I don't want an exaggeratedly wide look, like for an environmental portrait in a particularly tight space.

24mm starts to have a "wide look," so I'm more likely to use it for big landscape subjects, or photographing tall buildings where I want to keep the camera level and crop out the excess foreground, or for interior architectural shots where I've got a lot to fit into the frame and can't step back far enough.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb View Post
    For me there is a categorical difference between 24mm and 28mm. I think of 28mm as the widest lens I'd use where I don't want an exaggeratedly wide look, like for an environmental portrait in a particularly tight space.

24mm starts to have a "wide look," so I'm more likely to use it for big landscape subjects, or photographing tall buildings where I want to keep the camera level and crop out the excess foreground, or for interior architectural shots where I've got a lot to fit into the frame and can't step back far enough.
    I was going say the same, I agree 100%.
    -
    When I had a 24mm back in the late 1970's I found it was often just a bit too wide and switched to a 28mm a decision I've never regretted, I do have a 17mm as well. So I found the 17mm, 28mm, 50mm and 70-210mm (zoom0 combination ideal. Perhaps if the OP had a 35mm WA then the 24mm/35mm.80mm suggestion would also be a good option.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    28 and 24 are not very far apart in focal length, but there is a notable difference in "feel."

I use 28 as a wide that doesn't really look all that wide. It is part of my main 3-lens kit, which consists of 28, 50, and 135.

I use 24 when I really want a WIDE look, or when I simply need to cram more into the frame because my rearward movement is limited.

I use the 24 as more of a special-purpose lens. I would not like to have it as my only wide. I have to get too close to subjects to use it, and I find that it can easily create a gimmicky "look! I'm using a wide angle lens" look. A little distracting for most of what I shoot. But using a 28 is as easy and fluid for me as using a 50.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    It's a case of sensibly spacing your lenses. If I'm photographing in the city, I find a 20mm, 35mm & 85mm the most useful combo. However, if I'm going on a long walk in the countryside, I'll probably take 28mm, 55mm macro, & 105mm. Personally I would find the 24mm a bit of an "in-between" lens. Whatever wide you go for, you must aim for fairly close in foreground interest, otherwise your pictures are likely to be very flat and one-dimensional.

Shooter
    35mm
    I use my 24mm, much more than my 28mm.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I will second the "If you already have a 28mm, then get a 20mm" idea...

Compositionally more challenging than a 24mm, but the basic idea is to get close to some sort of foreground.
    M6, SL, SL2, R5, P6x7, SL3003, SL35-E, F, F2, FM, FE-2, Varex IIa

Shooter
    35mm
    Very true. Love my 20mm.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Rol_Lei Nut View Post
    I will second the "If you already have a 28mm, then get a 20mm" idea...

Compositionally more challenging than a 24mm, but the basic idea is to get close to some sort of foreground.
    Having a 28mm doesn't mean that's what you really want as I would think many choose a 28mm because a good 24mm is so damn expensive.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    IMHO, I would go to a 20mm. I love my 20mm when I really want wide. The 28mm is good for moderate wide - groups of people, etc. 35mm doesn't seem enough wider than 50mm, that I don't even own one. But, that's my opinion.
    Bruce

Moma don't take my Kodachrome away!
    Oops, Kodak just did!

BruceCSdunekPhotography.zenfolio.com

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin