Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,276   Posts: 1,534,720   Online: 857

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 24 or 28 mm?

Shooter
    35mm

24 or 28 mm?

I'm looking to add a wide-angle prime lens to my collection. I've used a 28 mm enough to have a feel for the look. But I am wondering what a 24mm would do. ( BTW, my camera is a Nikon F100.) One problem I am curious about is what do you do with all that context?? It appears to me that if I'm not very careful with composition that I will wind up with a lot of nothing much in the frame. In other words, how much of a challenge to one's composition skills will the 24mm engender? Or would a 20 mm be even more challenging? If you are going to recommend a manual focus lens, please bear in mind that I really, really like the Matrix metering and the other two as well. I already have some FSU rangefinders that require the use of a hand-held light meter.

Thanks to all who reply.

With best regards,

Stephen

Shooter
    Large Format
    I don't know much about the autofocus versions so will stay out of that. As I just mentioned in another post, the 24 2.8 Nikkor (manual focus, any version) is a great lens. It is a shame about the the lack of matrix metering with MF lenses (I have an F80).

I don't find the 24 to be more difficult to compose with than 28; I prefer it myself. For some reason, going down to 20mm (or 21 in other systems) really makes a difference in that regard. For me that is the dividing line between wide angle and super wide.

Shooter
    35mm
    Well a 28mm is definitely cheaper than a 24mm and I use a 24mm with a 35 or 40mm combo more than a 28mm, for indoor use with people

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, I have not got a 24 or 28 from my Nikon. The smallest is a 50. However my OM has a 24 and a 28. Frankly, after the fact, it is difficult to tell which one I used. Aside from noticing when you first get them, your eyes adapt and move on. Just go with the highest quality lens you have.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My favourite combo is 24mm, 35mm and 85mm.

This shot from my APUG gallery was shot using a 24mm f/2.8 Zuiko:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails broken_tree_01a.jpg  
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    35mm
    having used both--the practical difference between them is never greater than a small step forward or back, sometimes just leaning over a bit is enough. in fact, they were so similar that i eventually got rid of one. looking back at old pictures i have no idea which was taken with which

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If i understand well you have 28mm, so the different in angle 24-28 is very short, buy instead 20mm.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    24mm is not difficult to use. You might even like the 20mm.

Jeff

Shooter
    Medium Format
    As you have the F100, you could rent the 24mm/1.4 and give it a try. You can replace the 28mm with it and buy something wider.
    It is one of these lenses that makes me want to buy the F6. The difference to 28mm is next to non-existant.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I use the 24-85mm 1:2.8-4 D as my standard lens on my F100, and I use the 24 mm lens on my Olympus for all my IR work. So I think the 24mm lens is just perfect for my use which is mainly landscape.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin