Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,936   Posts: 1,585,624   Online: 749

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Were Olympus OM lenses stiff when new?

I have a few Olympus OM lenses. One thing I noticed about all of them is that the focus is pretty stiff compared to say nikon or minolta lenses.

Were they intended to be stiffer focusing or is this just an aspect of the age of the grease used?
    Go not to the elves for counsel, for they will say both yes and no.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I couldn't compare mine to Nikon lenses, but they aren't stiff, nor are they loose.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have had good success freeing up stiff focus helicoids with Niftech Micro Bearing Oil. It comes with a very fine needle applicator and you can get it onto the helicoid without taking the lens apart in many cases.

'MICRO' Bearing Oil
    1000 Series (Lubricants)
    Product Number: #1030
    Keywords: Bearing Oil Lubricants
    ''MICRO'' Bearing Oil renews old ball bearings.

Shooter
    127 Format
    I had three OM lenses since new. They were never stiff. I would say the stiffness comes with age. I imagine the climate where the lens spent those years could affect it as well since I have some used ones that are moderately stiff and others that are quite free.
    - Bill Lynch

Shooter
    35mm
    I have only 1 Olympus lens, the 50mm f/1.8. The focusing ring is stiffer than most of my Nikons (which I had since new) but it feels good. I see nothing wrong with it.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin