Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,338   Posts: 1,537,687   Online: 929

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I once wondered the same thing.

Supposedly Voigtlander made a 40mm f/2 Ultron Aspherical for the Canon FD mount, but I can't find proof at the moment and furthermore I've never seen one for sale or anywhere online.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Not pancakes, but I once tried to figure out what the most compact FD lenses were, and I think I came up with the 35/2.8 and 50/1.8.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    As Harry pointed out, the FL-P 38mm for the Pellix is the only pancake lens Canon made. I have one sitting on my Pellix right now and it extends no more than an inch from the body. Bloody sharp lens too I must say.

Jim B.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Canon never seemed interested in making a compact camera. The smallest FD camera is the T60 which wasnt made by canon. The A-series is as close to small as they got and I would consider it more of a medium size. (I shoot olympus and I have some pentax ME's) They were reliable though.

In the EOS cameras (both film and digital), the big ass grips kinda take away from the compact feeling and I think a pancake would just feel funny.

Anyway, Pancake lenses are prone to flare anyway and I would rather have a lens with a deep throat like the Nikon 50mm f1.8 AF or 50mm f2.
    Go not to the elves for counsel, for they will say both yes and no.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rol_Lei Nut View Post
    At least in more recent years, Canon has solidly targeted PJs and sports photographers.
    A pancake lens doesn't fit that image.

Huge white things as $&?§@€ enchancers/substitutes generate far more sales....
    As we have seen over recent years with the influx of LAMBWL photographers, the smaller the lens, the less the cred. Canon must have knew that years ago....

(Only Fridges and Washing machines come in white....)

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Someone post a link to the Praktica B200 to show what a true waffle camera looks like. When I think of Canon lenses I think of huge white telephotos at sporting events, which is what their marketing plan wants me to think, or "Wildlife as canon sees it".

David

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Maybe they were afraid we'd overdo it on the syrup. Tends to gunk up the works.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by spacer View Post
    Maybe they were afraid we'd overdo it on the syrup. Tends to gunk up the works.
    Eggscuze me? You'd batter quit with the breakfast yolks -- I mean jokes! We can hash (browns) things out without such puns. Bacon yer pardon, but it had to be said.

Mmmm.... bacon.....
    -Markster

Canon AE-1P 35mm | 50mm/f1.8 FDn | 28mm/2.8 FD | 70-200mm/f4-5 FD | 35-70mm/F2.8-3.5 Sigma FD

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hash! I haven't had breakfast yet!

Guess I'm off to the Petro. Oh, yeah... bacon!

Just to throw in to the topic so I'm not whipped with a spaghetti noodle: Most of my cameras are EOS, and I'd love a compact lens for 'em.
    Was there perhaps something with the focal length and these bodies? Or was it purely a marketing decision?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Not focal length, but flange focal distance. Though I'm sure they could still make one if they wanted, doze jurks.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin