Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,938   Posts: 1,557,272   Online: 1149

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Replacing/repairing the LCD readout in an F3HP

So...my "steal of a deal" on the F3HP body I picked up last summer may not be such a great deal after all. After five months or so of use, the LCD display is starting to fade out from time to time. My question, then, is, would replacement of the part be cost effective, or should I just start hunting for a replacement body? The F3HP and the MD4/DK-1 combo is virtually mint. However, there are a lot of F3HP bodies kicking around out there...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The manual is here http://arcticwolfs.net/ if you need it. Fading in and out is usually a bad connection, or your finger in front of the window on the finder.
    Bob

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well...given that I have been shooting F3s since 1981, I think I can safely eliminate the "finger in front of the window syndrome."

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    AFAIK, the LCD itself hasn't been available as part for some years, like 5-6 years minimum. It's actually a 2 piece part: the LCD and a small circuit board. I have two F3s: an early model with the DE-2 and a very late model with the DE-3 "HP" finder. The oldie's contrast is lower than the newer body--far from invisible but not as crisp. Tried to replace it back in early 2005 thru Nikon.ca. They did a complete CLA and appeared to have cleaned out some F3 parts bins to replace a slew of bits just to clean house. They promised a replacement LCD but couldn't get the part anywhere(Nikon Japan and USA). They promptly wrote off the bill, apologized, and handed over rebuilt F3. It's a mint early 80s that's still perfectly functional, albeit with a somewhat dim meter readout.

I've asked around subsequently and the LCD appears long gone as a current part--the camera went out of production unofficially in the late 90s with old stock carried a bit past the 2001(?) retirement. Unless you can find an NOS LCD lurking in a repairman's bins, it's either cannibalism or a new/used F3 body. They're tough cameras but the LCD is a baked-in problem.
    Last edited by CGW; 11-06-2011 at 01:07 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Good morning, Bradley;

Have you tried replacing the battery in the F3 with a new one? In a lot of the equipment I have, a fading Liquid Crystal Display (LCD) often is an indication of a problem with the power source. Before replacing the LCD, try a new battery. The F3 can probably use a new one every once in a while.
    Last edited by Ralph Javins; 11-06-2011 at 02:27 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Enjoy;

Ralph Javins, Latte Land, Washington

When they ask you; "How many Mega Pixels you got in your camera?"
    just tell them; "I use activated silver bromide crystals tor my image storage media."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Judging from CGW's post, a finger in front of the window would have been a good thing.

Hope my relatively new to me mint condition F3 keeps going for a few years.
    Bob

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob-D659 View Post
    Judging from CGW's post, a finger in front of the window would have been a good thing.

Hope my relatively new to me mint condition F3 keeps going for a few years.
    If it's any comfort, my early F3's LCD was a bit dim in 2002 when I got it and hasn't faded any further. I was bummed apart the parts situation but the friendly Nikon.ca techs said the LCDs weren't a regularly stocked item even during the F3's glory years. My take is "shoot 'em till they break."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I intend to, same with my other Nikons, although I suspect most of them will outlive me.
    Bob

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Javins View Post
    Good morning, Bradley;

Have you tried replacing the battery in the F3 with a new one? In a lot of the equipment I have, a fading Liquid Crystal Display (LCD) often is an indication of a problem with the power source. Before replacing the LCD, try a new battery. The F3 can probably use a new one every once in a while.
    I agree and turn the power switch off and on a few times to wipe the contacts. If its still not bright enough just get another finder.

Shooter
    35mm
    Accurately cleaning the contacts between pentaprism and body could be another useful attempt.
    Fabrizio Ruggeri fine art photography site: http://fabrizio-ruggeri.artistwebsites.com
    Stock images at Imagebroker: http://www.imagebroker.com/#/search/ib_fbr

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin