Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,925   Posts: 1,556,781   Online: 1016

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Shooter
    35mm
    Fabrizio!
    Yes that's a good way of doing it and I have found that the matrix meter of the F5 does a good job for slide film but because it does a good job for slide film it does a poor job for negative film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Chan,
    How much does it underexpose neg film?

Shooter
    35mm
    The problem is depending on the scene. It doesn't underexpose by a fixed amount because if that is the case then it's just a matter of calibration. It depends on the scene contrast and of course whether the it considers the highlight or shadow is important (depending where the area is and how large, of course the matrix metering algorithm is not published and I can't know exactly what it is doing). If the scene is flat then the exposure is ok for either type of film. If the scene is contrasty it tends to favor the highlight and let the shadow goes.
    With a large amount of shots where I let the matrix meter totally determine exposure, the slides came out fine (sometimes not what I would think but is good) but a large number of negative film came out underexposed. I have stopped using the matrix meter for negative film altogether.

Shooter
    35mm
    It's always been my understanding that the meters in Nikons are biased for slide film. I read something about that long ago, but the gist was that Nikon calibrated their meters to properly expose K25.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for the update.
    The only nikon ttl meter I have atm is an FTN finder

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Keep the N80 and go find a S.E.I. Photometer and use it. It is designed to meter either for the highlights or blacks rather than 18% (or whatever) gray. I've used mine on and off for a number of years and it does a wonderful job, especially if you know the range of the film.

Shooter
    35mm
    The F5 is certainly a very nice camera and it's better than the N80 in many ways. However, don't buy it for the meter.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin