Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,498   Posts: 1,543,102   Online: 1040

Thread: Nikon CLA...

Shooter
    35mm

Nikon CLA...

I have an F3P on the way, and I am wondering if anyone could make a recommendation for a thorough, reasonably-priced CLA? On my two FEs, I used APS, but the price (for each) was a rather hefty $160. Are there any alternatives? The F3P is an interesting camera--one I have had my eye on for a while--and I look forward to using it. I am even thinking of loading it with film as soon as I get it--and see what happens. I fear something being out of spec, though, especially the shutter timing. I bought the camera from KEH (who I have been dealing with for years).

Shooter
    35mm
    I've had several Nikons, including a F3HP overhauled by Garry's Camera Repair. Under $70 each, some repairs made, seemed like a very through CLA. Quicker than promised turn-around. Will not hesitate to send more work Garry's way.

http://www.garryscamera.com/

Also been very happy with KEH Repair. In fact, I have two Yashica's with them right now. Their prices are higher, over $100, but their turnaround time was even quicker. Excellent work, doing more than asked.

http://www.keh.com/repair-center.aspx

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Jeesh. Wait till you get it and shoot it before robotically packing it off for a CLA. The shutter is quartz-timed and probably accurate till it drops over dead. If you consider $160 steep for a competent CLA, then you'd probably freak at the repair bill a cheapo CLA might deliver later. I'm not a big believer in preventative maintenance on cameras, aside from dimbulb DIY stuff like light seal replacement. If it's OK, then shoot your F3P till it breaks.

Shooter
    35mm
    I appreciate the replies, especially the one that endorses shooting with the F3P right away. Perhaps I will start looking over some film candidates in my 'fridge.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin