Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,772   Posts: 1,516,537   Online: 837

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Worker 11811 View Post
    I have about 40 ammo boxes full of camera gear stored in the closet in my darkroom.
    If the cops ever search your house on a burglery call you'll be talking to DHS pretty quick.

s-a

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Worker 11811 View Post
    I use military ammo boxes. They are cheap and easy to find at any military surplus store. They are airtight, weather proof and they stack easily. Throw in some silica gel packs and you've got about as good a long term storage container as you can hope for.
    I have about 40 ammo boxes full of camera gear stored in the closet in my darkroom.
    How many equipments you can fit in a box?

PDH

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I keep a 35mm kit in a camera bag, which I change out depending on my needs and mood. I keep my MF and LF in large Colman Coolers with foam cut to fit bodies and lens. I use the coolers to transport in the back of my SUV when on the road and transfer to backpack when I hike. I keep a few cameras on shelfs in my den for display, my alternative bodies in footlocker in foam cutouts. I keep filters in filter wallets, stored in plasitc tool boxes.

Shooter
    35mm
    I like the larger storage systems, seems like a lot of real estate in which to arrange gear nicely while still being out of sight. I've tried using pelicans, but I just ended up with a random assortment of pelican cases instead of cardboard boxes. Plus I got them used, and the pick and pluck had already been picked and plucked.

Another option I had considered is a flat sterilite-type container which I could stack up somewhere. I think if lined with foam, it would keep gear reasonably organized and not rolling/sitting on top of each other.

PDH

Shooter
    Multi Format
    What I have done yet is set up an inventory index. Sounds somewhat annal but I spend a lot of time rounding up filters to match the camera I am shooting with. What lens need what size filter.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I put an old dresser in my office closet and utilize shelving and drawers. I have 35mm on top, and MF on the bottom. Film goes in the fridge, and prints sit for ages squished between my old college books.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ammo boxes are readily available on the civilian market. You can buy them anywhere. Any military surplus store sells them. You can buy them on the internet. They cost around $10.00 apiece for the .50 cal. size.

You can usually put two 35mm sized cameras in one box or one camera plus a few lenses. Two Rolleiflex sized cameras will fit comfortably in one box with room for a few accessories or rolls of film.

When I inherited my camera collection everything was in ammo boxes. There are a little over 100 cameras from Baby Brownies all the way up to a Graflex. The Graflex came in its own wooden box but 90% of all the other stuff fits in ammo boxes.

But for the few things that don't fit in ammo boxes, everything fits inside 40 ammo cans, .50 cal. size.
    Randy S.

In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.

-----

http://www.flickr.com/photos/randystankey/

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin