Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,042   Posts: 1,560,761   Online: 1120

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rolleiman View Post
    I used manual Canon F1's years ago, there was a feeling at the time that the breechlock FD lenses were better made and more solid than the then recently introduced FD lenses without the outer breechlock ring, which seemed a bit "plasticky" by comparison at the time.
    I've never had a problem with one of the New FD polymer lenses, but I have had issues with two breech-lock metal FD lenses. It could be age, but I don't see how anyone can say the New FD lenses are of poorer quality or durability compared to the previous metal FD lenses.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    With those lenses which are alike optically, and only differ in their barrel, I would prefer the new true type bayonet over the breech-lock bayonet version, as the former is a bit easier to handle during changing of the lenses. The difference is small though.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The "best" FD lenses in absolute quality terms are the L range of professional lenses, http://mir.com.my/rb/photography/com...rces/fdlenses/, but not everyone is willing to pay the prices or can afford them.
    Last edited by benjiboy; 10-18-2013 at 07:16 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    All Canon manual focus lenses FL and FD, both old and new, are breech lock type. Canon did not make a normal bayonet type. The register surfaces do not move against each other when the lens is mounted as they do with a normal bayonet; that is the whole point of the breech lock. In the case of the later FD type the whole of the barrel rotates to lock rather than a chrome ring.

Shooter
    35mm
    All Canon FD lenses are breech lock lenses and are fully functional with no modifications on any generation FD mount body. The only exception I can think of is that the AE Finder FN on the New F1 cannot display the selected aperture when an older breech ring lens is mounted. New FD lenses are not "bayonet" mount lenses. The separate breech ring was simply replaced, or integrated with, the lens barrel. Unlike traditional bayonet mount lenses, the mating surfaces of an FD lens and camera, as well as the aperture levers and signal pins, remain stationary while the lens is mounted.

The "plasticky" barrels on the New FD lenses are, in reality, a composite material that is 70% glass fibers by weight suspended in polycarbonate. In other words, it's essentially fiberglass. Its rates of thermal expansion and contraction are closer to that of optical glass than that of the metals it replaced, and can be machined to very tight tolerences. I understand that the term "plasticky" is usually used to describe tactile impressions and personal preferences. However, I feel the term can be misleading to the uninformed.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Yeeski View Post
    All Canon FD lenses are breech lock lenses and are fully functional with no modifications on any generation FD mount body. The only exception I can think of is that the AE Finder FN on the New F1 cannot display the selected aperture when an older breech ring lens is mounted. New FD lenses are not "bayonet" mount lenses. The separate breech ring was simply replaced, or integrated with, the lens barrel. Unlike traditional bayonet mount lenses, the mating surfaces of an FD lens and camera, as well as the aperture levers and signal pins, remain stationary while the lens is mounted.

The "plasticky" barrels on the New FD lenses are, in reality, a composite material that is 70% glass fibers by weight suspended in polycarbonate. In other words, it's essentially fiberglass. Its rates of thermal expansion and contraction are closer to that of optical glass than that of the metals it replaced, and can be machined to very tight tolerences. I understand that the term "plasticky" is usually used to describe tactile impressions and personal preferences. However, I feel the term can be misleading to the uninformed.
    No that's incorrect, with both the AE Finder FN and the Eye Level Finder FN with the old type bayonette mount lenses the shutter speed in use not the aperture is not displayed in the viewfinder.
    Last edited by benjiboy; 10-18-2013 at 08:51 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Ben

Shooter
    35mm
    The dispaying of the shutter speed in the viewfinder of the New F1 is built into the camera's viewfinder and does not depend on the type of lens mounted. The AE Finder FN has a window that sits over the aperture ring of a New FD lens, allowing it to display the selected aperture in the AE Finder FN, but only if it's in the aperture priority AE mode (i.e., the shutter speed dial is set on the red "A"). By eliminating the separate breech ring, Canon was able to move the aperture ring closer to the lens mount and standardized its location on all New FD lenses for this purpose. The aperture rings on the older breech ring lenses are further away from the mount and cannot be read by the AE Finder FN.
    Last edited by Yeeski; 10-18-2013 at 09:28 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    127 Format
    Images
    I'm very happy with the 50/1.4 on my A1, and the 24/2 seems to be quite excellent. No real experience outside of those, however.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    This is just my 2 cents (and worth just that), but if you are going to shoot landscapes, use a medium format camera, even if it's an old, inexpensive folder. 6x9 negs are nearly LF, and the tonality difference between 120 film and 35mm is huge. Even a nice 6x4.5 neg can offer great shots.

I don't shoot wide glass, but the Canon FD 135 2.5, and the R 100 2.0 (I think this one is available in FD mount) were some of the finest lenses I've ever used, even by Leica standards. The FD or FL 85 1.8, which are different lenses optically, are great for portraits. You can use your old Nikon primes on the Canon camera too w/ an inexpensive, glassless adapter in stop down mode, but on the AE-1 you'd have to manually set the speeds and hand meter. My dream is for a Nikon camera that can shoot FD glass, as I like their cameras better. Due to a lot of reasons though, that isn't going to happen.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Yeeski View Post
    The dispaying of the shutter speed in the viewfinder of the New F1 is built into the camera's viewfinder and does not depend on the type of lens mounted. The AE Finder FN has a window that sits over the aperture ring of a New FD lens, allowing it to display the selected aperture in the AE Finder FN, but only if it's in the aperture priority AE mode (i.e., the shutter speed dial is set on the red "A"). By eliminating the separate breech ring, Canon was able to move the aperture ring closer to the lens mount and standardized its location on all New FD lenses for this purpose. The aperture rings on the older breech ring lenses are further away from the mount and cannot be read by the AE Finder FN.
    I thought you meant in the AE mode and the shutter speed on A.
    Last edited by benjiboy; 10-19-2013 at 06:53 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Ben

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin