Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,197   Posts: 1,531,434   Online: 833

Shooter
    35mm

Canon AE-1 question

Hello,

I was wondering if I can manually set my lens to any aperture on the ring or do I have to just leave it on A? I would like to have complete control of the aperture and shutter speed. I realize the AE-1 is a shutter priority camera but I was wondering if I can have complete control of the settings. I just received this camera and have not loaded a roll of film in it yet. I just picked up a new battery for it and I was going to take it down to our local camera shop and have them test the meter etc...

Thanks for your help,
    Dan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yes you can.
    Fred Latchaw
    Seattle WA

I am beginning to resent being referred to as 'half-fast'.
    Whatever that's supposed to mean.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The AE-1 has manual setting by pressing the A-button on the FD-lens aperture ring and setting it on any of the indicated apertures.

The automatic diaphragm will still be activated (diaphragm will only close to pre-set value during exposure)
    For DOF-control you have to set aperture and then press the DOF-preview button left of the lens.

One of the best sources of Information on Canon cameras and lenses with FD-mount can be found here

http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography...SLRs/index.htm
    Last edited by AgX; 11-10-2011 at 12:31 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Nikonfan07 View Post
    Hello,

I was wondering if I can manually set my lens to any aperture on the ring or do I have to just leave it on A? I would like to have complete control of the aperture and shutter speed. I realize the AE-1 is a shutter priority camera but I was wondering if I can have complete control of the settings. I just received this camera and have not loaded a roll of film in it yet. I just picked up a new battery for it and I was going to take it down to our local camera shop and have them test the meter etc...

Thanks for your help,
    Dan
    Yes!

Have you a copy of the manual (s)? If not, here is a link to its location on Mike Butkus' site (I'd suggest that you make the requested donation):

http://www.butkus.org/chinon/canon/c...canon_ae-1.htm
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Regina Canada (sounds more fun than it is)
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    If you leave it on A, it will set the correct aperture for the shutter speed selected. If you take it off A, it works like any other manual camera (you have to pick both aperture and shutter speed). Assuming it does not have the squeal that a number of these bodies have developed (usually associated with the shutter curtain's lubricant drying out, which means it may be off in the shutter times), the camera is a tank that just keeps going, assuming there is a battery in it. I previously owned one which developed the squeal; $150 to repair seemed excessive, so I figured out it was over-exposing by 2/3 of a stop and compensated by changing the ISO. Found another at a garage sale for $20 and chucked the faulty one.
    Once a photographer is convinced that the camera can lie and that, strictly speaking, the vast majority of photographs are "camera lies," inasmuch as they tell only part of a story or tell it in a distorted form, half the battle is won. Once he has conceded that photography is not a "naturalistic" medium of rendition and that striving for "naturalism" in a photograph is futile, he can turn his attention to using a camera to make more effective pictures.

Andreas Feininger

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    That special noise seems to come from the mirror damper, thus any problem related to it should not cause exposure error.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Excellent camera, just take the aperture ring and take it off from 'A' you are on manual!

Jeff

Shooter
    35mm
    Excellent. I will load a roll and start learning this camera. Thanks for your help everyone.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    That special noise seems to come from the mirror damper, thus any problem related to it should not cause exposure error.
    Very close but........It's the mirror governor on the side of the mirror box. It's just a series of gears meant to regulate the speed of the mirror's rising.
    It's very similar to a slow speed escapement in a leaf shutter where the last gear engages a pallet for consistant speed.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin