Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,925   Posts: 1,556,761   Online: 1014

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The FRE in the original FE was gold contacts on a glass disc.
    The first one I saw, the camera had been dropped and the glass broke.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by CGW View Post
    Coincident with pigs showing up on NORAD radar.
    There are enough reproduction 1st-3rd gen Mustangs parts available right now that you could build an entire car from reproduction parts.If you chose a later model a reproduction engine can be had also.

Its all about money....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by fstop View Post
    There are enough reproduction 1st-3rd gen Mustangs parts available right now that you could build an entire car from reproduction parts.If you chose a later model a reproduction engine can be had also.

Its all about money....
    Same with Indian Motocycles.
    In some cases the NOS stuff is cheaper than repop.

Shooter
    35mm
    The best way to prevent FRE failure ?
    Get an F2 - the ultimate backup.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Having upgraded from two F2 bodies that went out on me to an F3, I hope you are all correct. I feel better shooting my F3 knowing that it will be easier to get serviced then my F2's. Around me in LA I see plenty of used bodies in some of the stores, but they are pretty beat up looking and seem pretty steep price wise. My F3 camera came from KEH and with their generous six month warranty and the extra year warranty I purchased for $45, I'll be thrilled beyond belief if I can get this one to go the full 18 months repair free. Neither of my F2's lasted a year after I purchased them. :-(

Shooter
    35mm

Liberation is not theft

A colleague told me the other day that they decided these parts were now 'obsolete' and so scrapped the lot. Brand new F3 bodies were literally thrown in the skip. The guy in charge of scrapping then seals the skip with tape and keeps a watch on it via CCTV because, of course, if writing off old stock the law is that it MUST be scrapped...

I hope, I really hope that the skip lorry driver or someone unloading at the other end managed to salvage the bodies before they were chucked in an incinerator or landfill (and if they put them on eBay - good luck to them, I say...)
    .[/QUOTE]

Sounds like you work for the government. I feel your pain, too bad you were not able to liberate them. I have watched skids of photo gear F3's F4's F5.s plus obsolete darkroom equipment go to their end. It's like putting down a good dog, rather than finding a loving family for it. Outa be a law against it.

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by fstop View Post

Its all about money....
    Irrelevant. There's no Barrett-Jackson auction for old photo gear. No one is paying big bucks for revived FE and F3 bodies.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CGW View Post
    Irrelevant. There's no Barrett-Jackson auction for old photo gear. No one is paying big bucks for revived FE and F3 bodies.
    You know, I think thats a good thing! I shoot these old Nikons because I like to. I'm glad they're not trendy or we'd have to pay big bucks for our replacement bodies. Great cameras, great lenses, and cheap. What a deal!

Rick

Shooter
    35mm
    I think the FRE resistor is well built and should not be of a problem unless you drop the camera. If it fails you still have fully manual functions.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    The FRE in an F3 controls the aperture/shutter speed/light value, so when it breaks it either renders the meter completely non functional, off by a large amount of f-stops, or 'jumpy'. I've got a very early F3 12xxxx serial that took a hit to the film rewind side and the FRE was replaced by Nikon back in 93 or so, it started out as jumpy and then got worse. That F3 also had the right side top plate replaced, the one with the serial number, so it went from very early production of 12xxxx to very late production of 19xxxx.
    From my own experience of F3's (4 of them including an ultra tough P version) the FRE is probably the weakest part, but its reasonably protected on that side and you gotta really want to hurt the camera to crack it. Mine had a pretty serious toss on to concrete, and the impact to that corner by the film rewind knob was obvious as was damage to the rewind assembly, making rewinding by hand a squeaky and friction filled event. All credit to the F3 though, it continued to work in Manual at the marked speeds with the meter being jumpy for a few weeks until I could send it in to get fixed. I was a news photographer at the time and those types of damage stories were part of the job, I remain impressed with how tough that camera is.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin